UW-L theatre presents “The Man Who”

Emme Harms, Staff Reporter

Mind over matter; it seems a simple enough phrase to most. In his theatrical production “The Man Who,” Peter Brook takes this sentiment to another level. The work features a compilation of 13 scenes, all depicting interactions between a doctor and patient, each suffering from a particular ailment. The goal of the production is not clinical, but rather to reproduce scenarios that examine attempts to understand the inner workings of the brain.
The New York Times described the production, ‘“The Man Who’ is not really a play. It’s certainly not a documentary. Call it a performance piece. However you categorize it, it’s one of the season’s major theatrical events. It’s as vast and mysterious as the human imagination, and as commonplace as the image of a man trying to shave himself, but failing.”
In order to deduce the physical ailments of the patients, the doctors host question and answer sessions. It is simplistic but effective, as the doctors use their scientific objectivity to identify the maladaptive behaviors associated with the afflictions. One patient suffers from Tourette’s syndrome, others from severe memory loss, distortions of reality or language impairment.
As the production is inspired by Oliver Sack’s “The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat,” there is, naturally, one patient suffering from such an ailment. He seems to only remember objects through the music with which he associates them. Sack’s book, published in 1985, contains 24 essays describing brain function as presented by many of his patients. “The Man Who” uses a similar doctor-patient dynamic in order to uncover the vast mystery of the human imagination.
One of the most intriguing elements of the production is the simplistic use of actors, language and scenery. Using minimal props, a video camera and two projectors, the stage is relatively empty but for the actors and their external behaviors. The script is also relatively void of medical terminology making it all the more realistic. “The Man Who” uses only four actors which interchangeably play both doctors and patients. It is through these elements that the production removes the misunderstanding and reveals the connections between the audience and the capacity of the human mind.
“The Man Who” will be showing in the Frederick Theatre in Morris Hall and is not included as part of the season ticket package. Performances will be held on Nov. 6-8 at 7:30 p.m. and Nov. 9 at 2 p.m. All tickets are general admission and will go on sale Monday, Nov. 3 at 1 p.m. Tickets are $16 for adults, $14 for seniors/non UW-L students and $5 for UW-L students.
Box office hours are Monday through Friday, 1-4:30 p.m., Saturdays 10 a.m.-2 p.m. and one hour prior to each performance.