Earth Day brings week long opportunities for celebration and volunteering at UWL

Photo retrieved from the UWL SFS Instagram page.

Sophie Byrne, Social Justice Reporter

April 22 marks the 51st anniversary of Earth Day, a now global event that was founded by Wisconsin Senator Gaylord Nelson. Earth Day is a week-long event at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, with multiple events being put on by the Campus Activities Board (CAB), The Recreational Eagle Center (REC), It Make$ Cents, Student Association (SA), Peer Health, The Green Fund, Students for Sustainability (SFS), and the Environmental Studies Department. Additionally, there are multiple opportunities for La Crosse community members to celebrate Earth Day 

Monday, April 19 – Friday, April 25 

SFS and CAB – Aluminum Soda Pop Tabs Drive 

Student Union Front Desk – All week  

In honor of Earth Week, UWL students are encouraged to collect aluminum tabs from their soda pop cans and drop them off at the front desk of the Student Union. SFS will then donate the tabs in order to fund environmental sustainability efforts on campus and ecofriendly organizations. No prior registration required.  

Thursday, April 22  

The REC, CAB, Peer Health, and Green Fund — Trash Pick-Up, Painted Rock Scavenger Hunt, and Plastic Bag Drive and Raffle 

The REC Building — 4 p.m. – 5 p.m., 5 p.m. – 6 p.m. 

The REC is hosting a trash pick-up opportunity in collaboration with the Campus Activities Board, Peer Health, and the Green Fund. Slots are available at 4 p.m. and 5 p.m., respectively. Students are encouraged to take part in a scavenger hunt for painted rocks while gathering trash. They may also bring their extra and unused plastic grocery bags to the front desk and take part in The REC’s plastic bag drive while also being entered in a raffle to win eco-friendly prizes. Gloves and bags will be provided, and students may choose to gather trash on campus or off. Prior registration is closed, but students may still enter the raffle and partake in the rock hunt.  

SFS – Create Your Own Herb Garden 

Student Union Front Lawn — 12 p.m. – 3 p.m.

Members from SFS will be giving away herb planting kits on the Student Union Lawn at 12 p.m. on Earth Day. Students are encouraged to come early, as supplies will be limited. No prior registration required. Visit @sfsuwlax on Instagram to learn more.  

CAB and It Make$ Cents – Herb Garden Craft Pots 

Whitney Dining Center — 12 p.m. – 2 p.m. 

It Make$ Cents and CAB representatives will also be giving away supplies for herb garden pots at 12 p.m. and can be found in the main hallway of the Whitney Dining Center. Supplies may be limited, no prior registration required.  

Friday, April 23

CAB, Green Fund, and SA — Wall-E Showing 

Student Union Front Lawn – 8:30 p.m.

CAB will be hosting in-person showings of the Disney-Pixar film Wall-E at 8:30 p.m. on Thursday and Friday night, with virtual, all-day streaming access to the film available Thursday through Sunday. Students may email [email protected] to reserve a spot for the in-person showings or DM @uwlcab on Instagram.  

Saturday, April 24

La Crosse Disposal System, Earth Fair, Friends of The Marsh, the Wisconsin Conservation Corps, and the UWL Environmental Studies Department – Marsh Clean Up 

Myrick Park Gun Club Shelter — 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., rain or shine 

Members of the greater La Crosse community may gather at the Myrick Park Gun Club Shelter anytime from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday for a day of cleaning up the La Crosse River Marsh. Participants are expected to bring their own gloves and gear, and garbage bags will be provided. COVID-19 guidelines will be followed, and no prior registration is required. For inquiries, reach out to John Sullivan at [email protected]  

Downtown Mainstreet — Downtown Clean-Up Day 

DMI Offices (422 Main St.) — 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., rain or shine 

Members of the greater La Crosse community may sign up individually, in groups of up to 10, or as a business in order to take part in cleanups of different La Crosse neighborhoodsParticipants may select one of eight zones throughout La Crosse to clean up with their team. Supplies are provided, and prior registration is required. For more information, readers may visit @lacrossedowntown on Instagram, or visit their websiteCOVID-19 guidelines will be followed. 

Environmental Studies Department — Marsh Clean Up  

Lueth Skate Park — 10 a.m. – 12 p.m., rain or shine 

Environmental Studies Associate Lecturer Richard Frost is hosting his annual marsh clean-up, a student counterpart to the community clean-up at Myrick Park. According to Frost, bags and gloves will be provided and students need only show up with themselves and as many friends as they’d like. COVID-19 guidelines will be followed. Students in classes pertaining to environmental studies may be able to use this as an extra credit opportunity. No prior registration is required. For inquiries, email [email protected]