Student Association meets for the last time and swears in new student associates

Student Association logo. Image obtained from the UWL Student Association Facebook Page.

Julia Wille, Student Government Reporter

On Wednesday, May 5. the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse Student Association (SA) met virtually for the last time this semester. The SA officially swore in the new student senators and president and vice president. The SA also welcomed a guest speaker who came to talk about community engagement on campus. 

At the beginning of the meeting the guest speaker Lisa Klein, from the community engagement office at UWL, came to talk to students about ways to get involved in the community. UWL has revamped its website to include more information on how students can get engaged with the community. The website is on the UWL homepage and has been designed to reach different groups of people based on their needs. UWL wants to work to create even more connections between students on campus and people/businesses in the La Crosse community. 

The SA swore in the new members of the student association as well as the members of the student court. The new justices for the student court will be Siri Flores, Laurel Masters, Grant Mathu, and Hannah Ridge.  The Student Association president will be Jared Zwettler and the vice president will be K.C. Cayo 

With Zwettler as the new president, the SA introduced and passed two new resolutions. The first resolution was to honor Cate Wiza as the past president of the SA with thanks from the senate. Wiza was the SA president for the 2020-2021 school year and is graduating this spring. She graduated with a degree in international business and will be attending law school in the fall. Many students came forward to show their appreciation for Wiza’s work and dedication over the past year as president. New Student Association president Jared Zwettler said, “Cate has been an amazing mentor and leader throughout this year, your (Wiza’s) shoes are going to be difficult to fill but I am looking forward to the challenge.”  

The second resolution that was passed was in honor of Olivia Ahnen who was the SA vice president for the 2020 to 2021 school year. Again, this resolution was to honor the work she did and show thanks from the senate. Ahnen is also a senior this year and will be graduating this spring. New vice president of Student Association K.C. Cayo said, “she has been an amazing mentor and has done amazing work this year especially during the pandemic.” Many other students also came forward to express their gratitude for Ahnen’s work throughout the semester. Wiza said, “you did it with a smile even though it was a crazy year and I appreciate you sticking by me throughout this year.”  

Student Association meets for the last time and swears in new student associates A few announcements were also made by the advisor Kyle Burke during the meeting. There is now walk-in availability for the vaccines on campus. They are giving out primarily doses of Pfizer and Moderna. Next week Tuesday and Thursday they will also be giving out Johnson & Johnson vaccines in the Student Union for students and faculty.

He also presented Cate Wiza and Olivia with plaques of appreciation on behalf of UWL.  

This was the last meeting of the semester for the SA, they concluded and wished for everyone to have a great summer.