Vice Chancellor and Registrar recovering after accident

Alex Johnson, Staff Reporter

During the early morning of Tuesday, Oct. 21, two UW-La Crosse faculty members were struck by a pick-up truck in the crosswalk of State Street. Bob Hetzel, the Vice Chancellor for Administration and Finance, and Christine Bakkum, a registrar, both sustained injuries from the incident and have since been recovering. According to La Crosse local police, Hetzel and Bakkum were both headed to work when the pickup truck headed west and failed to yield, thus causing the accident.

After the incident, UW-L Chancellor Jow Gow sent out an email to the entire campus populace describing the injuries of both Hetzel and Bakkum, saying, “Bob has multiple fractures in his and elbow that required surgery. And although Chris has been released from the hospital, she is experiencing dizziness that will require careful monitoring and treatment.”

Despite the injuries both faculty members endured, several eye-witnesses mentioned the noble act of Bob Hetzel pushing Christine Bakkum out of the way.

Fortunately, UW-L came together to support and aid Hetzel and Bakkum in their time of need.

When giving an update about his condition Hetzel commented on how the “UW-L campus community has provided Chris and I with overwhelming support and we are both very grateful for the outreach and caring by so many people.”

Being part of a community that so openly supports members in a time of need should brings pride to many studens and faculty personnel from UW-L.

In lieu of the horrible incident that took place on State Street, Hetzel confirmed the La Crosse community has “agreed to install cross walk signs and a flashing beacon at the crosswalk,” which will only benefit the general safety of both drivers and pedestrians. Of course, when these changes will take place, calls for another discussion.

When reached for comment on the preceding matters, Hetzel was unable to comment on legal matters due to the sensitivity of the current situation. Unfortunately, Bakkum could not offer more information as she continues her recovery at home but should return to work soon.

In a most recent update this past week, Joe Gow wrote, “Chris will be healthy enough to be back on campus soon. Bob Hetzel remains in the hospital for his very serious injuries.” With the well wishes of the surrounding community, people are hoping they have a swift and expedient recovery. The progress made with “high spirits” through the recovery process serves as an “inspiration” to the friends, families and any other person to grace the UW-L campus.