Campus organizations team up to promote World AIDS Day, safe sex

Stephanie Koss, Staff Reporter

For many years, Sigma Tau Gamma and the Black Student Unity Organization (BSU) have teamed up to promote safe sex awareness during World AIDS week. This year, Sigma Tau Gamma will be assisting the BSU in the events held on World AIDS Day (Monday, Dec. 1) as well as selling their famous “Cody the Condom” t-shirts.  Cody the Condom has been Sig Tau’s alternate mascot since they began promoting safe sex practices on campus. Sigma Tau Gamma will be selling these t-shirts from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in Cartwright on Dec. 1, 2, 5 and 6.

AIDS, acquired immune deficiency syndrome, is the final stage of human immunodeficiency virus disease (HIV), which attacks and weakens the immune system. HIV is transmitted primarily through unprotected sexual intercourse (including oral and anal), contaminated blood transfusions and hypodermic needles.

Kalon Bell, President of the BSU, commented that AIDS is a global issue that continues to affect millions of people. UW-L students play a major, active role in raising awareness for this issue.

“This is a day to remind ourselves and the world around us that there is still more to be done in public policy, education, and in combatting harmful prejudice,” said Bell.

There are many events that will be happening on campus to help honor World AIDS Day on Dec. 1, all of which are free of charge:

There will be FREE HIV testing in Cartwright 260 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Look for red ribbons tied around the trees on campus. Red ribbons are the universal symbol for HIV awareness.

There will be an art exhibit (location TBA), where art will be displayed to help the BSU for a silent auction to raise money for the AIDS Resource Center of Wisconsin in La Crosse.

A ceremony at the clock tower at noon to commemorate those who have died. There will be a balloon release.

Getting informed about the issue can raise HIV/AIDS awareness. Bell suggests taking time to learn the history of the virus and to hear people’s stories. The more time that is taken to learn the background of the issue, the easier it will be for people to support the movement because they will have a better understanding of the issue. Bell also urges everyone on campus to take part in the AIDS day activities as well as doing their best to promote the issue to others. He also says that anyone can volunteer at or donate to the local AIDS Resource Center of Wisconsin (ARCW).

For more information on the events or if you would like to donate art for the displays in front of Port O’ Call, please email Kalon Bell at [email protected].