Ways to enjoy the season’s first snowfall

Erin Jahns, Staff Reporter

We may have only gotten a few inches of snow this past week, but this first taste of wintery weather either a. made you want to cuddle up in your comforter and never come out, or b. want to run outside, embrace your inner-child and make a snow man.
Even though this is Wisconsin, and snow is to be expected once November rolls around, the first snowfall always seems to be a big deal. Around campus, everyone seems to walk with a certain awkward care—ensuring that they aren’t that person to slip and fall on what feels like the first true day of winter.  Additionally, traffic moves slower, everyone is a couple of minutes late to class (I mean, where the heck is your snow brush anyways…or your winter jacket…or your boots…?)  and people seem to be either in an uncharacteristically happy or sour mood. Whether waking up to that glistening blanket of white drives you to tears or triumph, there are many ways that the first snowfall can be enjoyed rather than dreaded, for lovers and haters alike.
For those of you who would rather not subject yourselves to cold temperatures and the sensation of cold, wet precipitation melting on your skin, there are plenty of ways to enjoy the snow and think a bit more positively about the season to come.
First of all, it’s hard to deny the beauty of snow, and especially the first snowfall of the season. You don’t have to go and roll around in it, but take a minute to enjoy the view from the comfort of your home. Use the snow as an excuse to make yourself a warm cup of hot chocolate, a bowl of popcorn and to enjoy the wintery ambiance.  If you’re feeling a bit more daring, take it a step further and bundle up, get outside with your friends and make a fire one night out in the snow. Use some dry firewood, pull out the barbeque starter that you foolishly thought you had retired for the season and start a fire in an open area. Roast marshmallows, make s’mores and do whatever you love to do when you have bonfires in the summer!
Eventually, however, you’ll have to trek out into the snow. If you don’t particularly like trudging through the snow on your way to class, distract yourself by appreciating the fresh winter air and admire the way the bluffs look when covered in snow. True, your hiking days may be over for the season, but don’t the bluffs look even more majestic and impressive after a fresh snowfall?
For those of you who love the snow and can’t wait to get outside to ski and sled, this snowfall can get you inspired to pull out your skis, intertubes, snowshoes or what have you, for lots of fun outside. If you like to sled or tube, check out the sledding hill in Van Riper Park in Onalaska, and if you like to ski and snowboard, look forward to the slopes of Mount La Crosse.
Get your roommates together to have a snowball fight (watch Elf if you’re in need of some inspiration), make snow angels or build a snowman. Cliché? Maybe. But you have to admit that you’ll be a heck of a lot better at making an awesome snowman now than you were when you were eight–just remember to avoid the yellow stuff.