UW-L Professor receives 2014 Wisconsin Professor of the Year

Cassie Tritt, Staff Reporter

UW-La Crosse biology professor Scott Cooper is this years recipient of the 2014 Wisconsin Professor of the Year Award. Cooper is recognized by Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching and the Council for the Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) statewide for his extraordinary dedication to undergraduate teaching in and out of the classroom.
Cooper teaches biology and also serves as UW-L’s Director of Undergraduate Research and Creativity. Not only does he contribute in helping all of UW-L’s undergraduates to engage in research and creative experiences, but he also mentors his own biology students in his blood-clotting research laboratory, which allows for a more hands-on approach in learning.
The State Professors of the Year Award Program selects outstanding educators in all 50 states and recognizes faculty members for their achievement as undergraduate professors. This is one of the highest honors that a professor can receive.
“To affirm that what I am doing is going in the right direction and my hard work has paid off is the biggest reward,” said Cooper.
In regards to the differences of Cooper’s curriculum compared to other professors, three of the classes he teaches are 400 level classes, which he sees as transition courses to help prepare students to go into their field of work after they have finished college. He hopes that his courses help students get ready for the format of medical school or whatever they have planned after finishing their undergraduate degree to ultimately make the transition from college to career smoother.
This marks the third time in the last four years that a UW-L professor has been recognized by the Carnegie Foundation and CASE for exceptional performance.
“I don’t think that I’ll be the last one to receive this award with all of the innovative things that are occurring in the classrooms here,” added Cooper.
In 2011, UW-L professor Greg Wagner received the honor, and in 2013, Professor Victor Macias-Gonzalez won the award.
It is apparent that UW-L professors have created an atmosphere where they certainly prepare students for future success.
“When it comes to talented and dedicated faculty, UW-L is leading the way in Wisconsin and in the U.S., and I hope you’re as proud of that fact as I am,” said Chancellor Joe Gow.
To have multiple professors at UW-L be recognized for their innovative ideas and outstanding dedication to undergraduate teaching is very gratifying for both students and faculty, knowing that they are devoting their professions to help students achieve success and prepare them to further their education.
There will be a reception in the coming weeks to more fully acknowledge Cooper’s achievement. This is a great achievement in the UW-L community, and Cooper’s devotion to his students has positively been recognized statewide.