Wife starts scholarship in husband’s name

Cassie Tritt, Staff Reporter

The Larry & Edith Nutter Chemistry Scholarship Endowment Fund gives deserving UW-La Crosse chemistry students annual scholarships. The chemistry department gives a total of around $450,000 a year to academically thriving students with roughly 400 scholarships to choose from. Applications are accepted through the UW-L foundation on the scholarship website until Sunday, Feb 3.
Larry Nutter was a Chemistry Professor at UW-L, and his wife, Edith Nutter, wished to continue his legacy by giving back to students who go above and beyond in the chemistry department. Since Larry’s death in 2003, Edith worked to recognize her former spouse by funding scholarships to succeeding chemistry students.
Edith has not only created the Chemistry Scholarship Endowment Fund, but she made arrangements for an estate gift, as well. She said her husband thought nothing was more beautiful than a mind that succeeds through education, and that is what motivated her to create the fund.
Larry earned his master’s degree at UW-Madison in 1961 and Marquette University in 1965 and continued from there, where he completed doctoral studies at the University of North Dakota. In 1963, UW-L chemistry professor Milford Cowley persuaded him to return to his halls of knowledge, where Larry stayed in the department until retiring in 1996. He never missed a day of teaching, and he was a man devoted to education.
The Nutter Scholarship continues the legacy of Larryat UW-L.
When Edith created the award, she had one request for the scholarship recipients, which was “to do a good deed for someone they don’t know” in hopes of enhancing the UW-L community and adopting the values that Larry acquired.
This year, two $1,000 awards will be given out to an undergraduate student  pursuing chemistry as a major and exemplifies outstanding achievements at UW-L.
Students interested in applying for these or other UW-L Foundation scholarships can visit their website at uwlax.academicworks.com.