TRiO Week lends helping hand to students

Alex Johnson, Staff Reporter

National TRiO Week, a week-long roster of activities and events designed to celebrate the TRiO program offered by Student Support Services, kicked off this past week on the UW-La Crosse Campus.
Student Support Services (SSS) seeks to aid students in retention and graduation. Its director, Mary Coady, said, “the program has assisted [students] in their transition into the university. Students view the program as an opportunity to receive academic support, connect with university professionals and other students on campus.”
SSS offers service to 350 students who either are first generation college students, receive a larger amount of financial aid or have a physical/learning disability.
SSS specifically provides their own tutors for a variety of subjects, along with personal advisors who develop a close bond with their students. The office space in Centennial Hall also provides a “second home, away from home,” as noted by Michele Nauman, an advisor for Student Support Services.
Going into full swing this past week, National TRiO week offered a slew of programs, beginning with a cake and an opportunity for students to sign the banner reading “We are thankful for TRiO because…”
Many of the responses included students thanking the program for helping them be where they are now, in addition to easing the college transitional process.
On Wednesday, National TRiO Week gave students the opportunity to thank a mentor or leader that has inspired them with a short note or letter. SSSplaced a booth in front of the Hall of Nations, where a multitude of students filled out their notes to give to those who made an impact on their lives.
In addition to Student Support Services, UW-L is also home to Upward Bound and McNair Scholarship Program, all a part of the TRiO network.
Kali Weber, a student who has been helped by Student Support services, used TRiO week to reflect on the organization.
“To me, SSS (and TRiO) mean graduating, succeeding, being prepared to go into the career world on my own, having a home away from home, support, friends, guidance and true genuine desire for students to succeed in whatever path they choose to follow,” Weber said.
National TRiO Week culminated in a volunteer effort where students and staff from Student Support Services went to the WAFER Food Pantry, assisting with unpacking and organizing food for the afternoon.
Nauman felt the department should “give back to the community in the best way they can.”
Coady’s mission for the UW-L campus and greater La Crosse community is to “have a long history of providing quality services to students.  My staff is a committed group of professionals, who work hard to provide the academic and personal support for students.
“I am very proud of the fact that I believe there have been many instances where students have been impacted,” Coady said.
Coady and her staff feel accomplished to work and thrive in a longstanding UW-L organization.