Not-so-Polar Plunge hits La Crosse

Jenae Winter, Staff Reporter

A forty-degree day at Pettibone Beach feels just like spring, except that the water is still close to Arctic temperatures. But all of the people who spent March 7 in Pettibone’s water had a good reason to do so.
The Polar Plunge has been a tradition since 1993 to raise money for the Special Olympics, and every year, it seems grow in popularity, especially in La Crosse. However, it is not just the Plunge that happens at this grand event. There was a 5K set for the morning, as well as a chicken wing eating contest. Tents were set up all along the beach with live music courtesy of Time and a Half Band, performing Jim Croce’s “Bad Bad Leroy Brown” and other ballads. The event fit right along with the finally thawing tundra of the Midwest.
Usually, the Polar Plunge calls for jumping into the freezing cold water, but at Pettibone Beach, it was transformed into a sprint into the water to high five the volunteers waiting out in the deeper water and a slow wade back.
For those who wished to donate to the cause, but weren’t keen on the cold water, there was a “Chicken Coop” set up for the self-registered “Too Chicken,” who didn’t jump into the water. There was even a way for younger children to participate, with the Pee Wee Plunge happening in the largest main tent in a smaller pool of cold water.
Freshman Kailey Linn, who was doing the Plunge with the Service Learning Committee, laughed, “I’m concerned why I’m doing this so early in the day, but I feel it’ll be rewarding.”
That seemed to be the running joke of the day, as even one of the announcers at the event said over the speakers, “Famous last words: Why am I doing this?”
“It was a little cold, but it didn’t bug me,” said one of the athletes, Sara Schumacher, who works in UW-La Crosse’s sub shop.
Many people were already shivering before they got into the water, despite the temperature increase. Some teams dress up in costumes that do not necessarily keep them warm while they run into the water. Costumes ranged from penguins to shorts with funny headbands, and the costumes varied throughout the array of sponsors and teams such as Culver’s, Buffalo Wild Wings, WKBT News, Kwik Trip and numerous others.
According to the Polar Plunge website, $73,427 has been raised for this year’s Special Olympics so far.