Student Association President and Vice President candidates talk dorm improvements

Alex Johnson, Staff Reporter

After announcing the decision to run for UW-La Crosse Student Association President and Vice President, Christopher Rudolph and Quinn Burzynski, UW-L sophomores by credit, decided to focus their platform on improving dorm life. Honing in specifically on acquiring air conditioning for all dorms on campus, while also seeking fresh updates for the older living spaces, Rudolph and Burzynski felt they found a possibility for their vision.

With upwards of $4 million held in surplus in the last biennium budget, or two-year plan, the Office of Residence Life (ORL) has begun allocating the surplus to various projects involving the state of dorm life. With over 75 to 80 percent of the budget already allocated, the ORL has begun making strides to improving living conditions.

Troy Richter, the Assistant Director of Residence Life Operations, said the main goal for the dorms is to “expand the bathrooms, install sprinkler systems and elevators, while also looking at the needs of future students. We know they want more private bathrooms, carpeted floors and movable furniture.”

Although the ORL would like to provide a more comfortable living experience for the students on campus, an $8 to 10 million price tag is attached to each complete dormitory makeover.

“But students should keep in mind UW-L has the second lowest rates in the UW system at $1,750 for a double whereas Platteville charges $1,945 and Oshkosh charging $2,000 for a double room in a traditional dorm,” said Nick Nicklaus, Director of Residence Life and Graduate Faculty.

Rudolph said he believes that projects and ideas put into motion by the ORL should be inspired by conversations with UW-L students.

“I strongly believe that Student Government should talk to the students on campus and make a recommendation to residence life regarding how students want their money spent,” Rudolph articulated.

Yet, there are ongoing projects students may not be keen to notice right away. Nicklaus said ORL has “installed new carpeting in the nine traditional dorms, sealed windows and [redid] roofs, and the pipes need to be redone.”

Student elections will take place Tuesday, April 14 via online ballots sent to all students’ UW-L email accounts.