La Crosse MTU planning new bus route

Stephanie Koss, Staff Reporter

Many UW-L students have probably used the city bus system here in La Crosse at some point or another during their time in college. The La Crosse MTU has always been a great option for students and La Crosse residents alike, simply because of its affordability and ease of access.

In the fall of 2015, there will be a new circulator route implemented into the city bus system. The route will circle the UW-L and Western Technical College (WTC) campuses to allow more convenient transportation for everyone in the campus areas.

“The big reason we want the new circulator route to work is so that some of the parking issues will be alleviated, as well as keeping traffic down and allowing people an alternate mode of transportation to work or class,” says Keith Lee, the Transit Manager of the La Crosse MTU Service.

Currently, the La Crosse MTU services many areas around the city of La Crosse, including French Island, a portion of Onalaska, and La Crescent, Minnesota.

The La Crosse MTU bus routes currently consist of 8 fixed-routes and 2 flex-routes that offer transportation throughout the La Crosse and Onalaska areas, many of them operating seven days a week.

Lee stressed that the new route is still in the early stages of development, but will be hopefully up and running by fall 2015, specifically September 8, 2015. He noted that much could change from now until the time that it starts, but this is the time that is set in place currently.

The new circulator route is set to operate Monday through Friday every week, with 10-minute service from 7:10 AM to 5:10 PM and 20-minute service from 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM.

The route’s purpose is to provide decent access to academic buildings for all students. It will also provide a fast and easy connection between the Allied Health Center and WTC, as well as connections between the student intensive residential areas surrounding the UW-L and WTC campuses.

The route is proposed to circle La Crosse Street, Campbell Road, 15th and 16th Street, 13th Street, State Street, and 7th Street North.

Have questions regarding the new circulator route or the MTU in general? Contact Keith Lee, the Director of the La Crosse MTU at (608) 789-7350.