Women’s Soccer has record setting season

Alex VandenHouten, Staff Reporter

UW-La Crosse Woman’s Soccer team made history last week when the Eagles received an at-large bid for the NCAA tournament for the first time in school history. This was another milestone toppled for the Eagles as the 2015 was a season full of record-breaking performances from a team that was projected to finish only fourth in the WIAC. This was a team that had a lot of question marks coming into the season as the Eagles had 12 freshmen for the 2015 season.

“The upperclassmen did a great job including the freshmen and making us feel apart of the team,” said freshmen forward and leading goal scorer Alex Cording. “For the most it was a whole new team.”

With the leadership of senior captain Kara Bednarek, the Eagles were able to answer the question marks and put the pieces together for a special season.  After starting the year with a record of (4-3), the Eagles went on a university record 8 game winning streak that was capped off with a road victory over nationally ranked UW-Whitewater.

Senior captain Kara Bednarek said, “We found a groove and were able to finish a lot of games.”  She continued, “But at the same time we knew had to keep working hard.”

The victory not only bested the previous record of 7 straight wins set by the 1994 and 1999 teams, but it also put UW-L at 5-0 in conference and put them in the driver’s seat for their first conference title since 1996. However, their next conference game ended with a 3-2 overtime lost to UW-Stevens Point, which set up a crucial conference showdown UW-Oshkosh, who the Eagles were tied with atop the WIAC with a record of (5-1). The game was a physical and heated battle that ended in a 1-1 tie.

With the tie against UW-Oshkosh the Eagles were finally able to end the 19 year drought and clinched a share of the WIAC title. They earned the two seed in the conference tournament, where they would face off against the UW-Whitewater Warhawks. However, the Eagles would fall in double overtime to the Warhawks and many thought their season would be over. However, due to their impressive season, the Eagles received an at-large for the NCAA tournament and are set to face off against Pomona-Pitzer on Nov. 14.

Head coach John Murphy knows they are in for a challenge with Pomona-Pitzer.  He said, “They have two or three really good players, they won their conference tournament and play good possession soccer.” The second year coach believes his team is ready and continued, “We have had 3 days of training that I was happy with and if we make good passes and communicate we have a great chance.” Bednarek added, “If we show up and play our game it doesn’t matter who we play on Saturday as long as we play our game.”