Grappling with anxiety, a silent problem

Destiny Baitinger, Staff Reporter

Mental health is a hot topic regarding college students. Depression and anxiety are among the numerous mental illnesses that commonly affect college-aged students. Though these illnesses can affect all ages, these specific mental illnesses commonly surface in college students who are under extreme amounts of stress.

According to a study from adaa.org, “Forty million U.S. adults suffer from an anxiety disorder, and 75 percent of them experience their first episode of anxiety by age 22.” There are also six types of major anxiety disorders. These six disorders include generalized anxiety disorder, anxiety attacks, obsessive-compulsive disorders, phobias, social anxiety disorders and post-traumatic stress disorders.

All of these anxiety disorders are common among college campuses. According to adaa.org, generalized anxiety disorders are described much like a day-to-day fear, where anxiety attacks are unexpected panic attacks that make you worry about everyday activities. OCD is acting out unwanted thoughts or behaviors that are triggered by obsessions.

Phobia is fear of specific objects or activities that normally don’t pose danger, where social anxiety disorder is similar to a social phobia where individuals often avoid others and show extreme shyness. PTSD is also considered an anxiety order where individuals struggle with anxiety because of a traumatic experience or life-threatening events.

To be completely honest, I believed there was only one specific anxiety disorder triggered by stresses. To me, generalized anxiety disorder was the only type of disorder that people experienced. I was surprised to find that students are affected by six different types of anxiety. Also, having experienced this anxiety, I can understand how physically and emotionally wearing it can be.

Anxiety can present itself in numerous different ways. You can feel anxious about missing out, anxious about taking too much on, anxious about exams, taking notes, meeting new people, first day of classes. The list is endless.

Sophomore Nora Murguia explains, “When I’m in big crowds of people I don’t know how to act. I overthink things, I always think the worst possible thing will happen to me. One thing goes wrong and my entire day is ruined. It makes me feel really anxious.”

The key fact to remember when struggling with a mental illness is to take care of yourself. When we take care of ourselves stress levels start to decrease. Often times heightened stress levels cause worse anxiety. So, staying calmer and more content are key factors in managing your anxiety.

It’s essential to be understanding of those with mental illnesses such as anxiety as well. Saying things like “calm down” and “it’ll be fine” don’t help anxiety stricken individuals. Most of the time, their feelings of anxiousness are out of their control. Rather, try asking something like “how can I help you” or “is there anything that I can do for you?”

When we are eating better, sleeping more, and finding outlets to keep our minds at ease, we are working towards less stress in our lives. There are also numerous outlets on-campus available for relaxing such as the Relaxation Room in Centennial Hall and the Zen Den in Cartwright. I would also encourage you if you have any doubts or questions to seek help through the Counseling and Testing Center in Room 2106 in Centennial.