Meet the New Face of UW-L Sport Clubs

retrieved from uwlax.edu

Callie Heinrich, Sports Reporter

From Georgia to Wisconsin, new University of Wisconsin La Crosse Student Services Coordinator Whitney Burress embarked on a new challenge. While working through her graduate studies at West Georgia University, Burress found that working for club sports was not just a job, but a passion.

In her new role, Burress hopes to expand the sport club program, welcoming more teams and opening doors to future partnerships within the community.

Burress’s vision is not without obstacles. This year, the Sports Club Executive Council has put a freeze on all Sport Clubs, meaning there cannot be any new sport club additions until the council decides to remove the freeze.

“Currently our funding is limited and our space is limited. With 25 clubs, there are already some challenges,” commented Burress on the freeze, “It is the Executive Council’s way to figure out if we can really take on more clubs, and if we can’t, how can we increase participation in the sports we offer.” Burress is hopeful that the addition of a new $33 million fieldhouse in the future will resolve the issues with space.

Burress operated under the motto “For the students. By the students” and encourages all those around her to get involved. She recognizes that its nerve wracking for students to try something new but assures that sports clubs are welcoming to new comers.

“Sport clubs are for everybody. People get anxious about the competition side of it, but I know plenty of teams that will still help you,” explained Burress, “You might not get to compete in every game, but you will still be able to learn about the game and be a part of the fun atmosphere. If you are looking for a great way to get involved, sport clubs are defiantly a good way to do that.”

“If you are interested in starting a sport club, or want to talk about sport clubs, my door is always open,” stated Buress. As a mentor, Burress states that she is ready to serve every student whether it be those who play club sports, want to get involved in club sports, or simply enjoy watching them.

You can find Burress in the Recreational Eagle Center administrative offices and click here to view a list of the current sports clubs offered.