Enjoying Oktoberfest on Campus

Enjoying Oktoberfest on Campus

Tommy Kolinski, Staff Reporter

Well, it’s that time again. Do you know what’s coming our way? Oktoberfest, that’s what. Oktoberfest creates a very busy weekend for the La Crosse area as heaps of people come from all over to partake in the events. It’s so large, many might think it’s the only event going on that weekend, but I’m here to remind you otherwise. 

Two of the biggest spots to locate events happening here on campus are the Residence Halls and the Recreational Eagle Center (REC). These events are available to help you steer clear of the downtown activities where all the rowdy visitors will be. 

There is never so much activity in the Residence Halls as when Oktoberfest comes around. The Resident Assistants (RAs) are swarming to get their events ready for residents to partake in and provide an option to stay away from the craziness that will be downtown. 

One such event, hosted by Hutchison Hall on Saturday, Sept. 30 at 7 pm, will be a Water Balloon Toss where participants partner up and toss a water balloon to each other. The catch is that each successful toss takes you an additional step away from your partner and, to add more excitement, each participant will be wearing drunk goggles. 

Drunk goggles affect your vision in a way that is similar to a specific level of alcohol consumption. University Police lend pairs of these goggles out to staff members to help teach students the effects that drinking can induce.

Playing a water balloon toss game with such goggles on will not only be a fun way to enjoy the weekend, but will also educate students on what the dangers of drinking are and why you should stay away from it. 

Other activities such as making caramel apples or watching movies are great ways to have fun while being safe (not to mention they’re an easy way to meet new people or hang out with your friends). The REC is also hosting an event this Friday from 9 pm – Midnight. The event is called Rectoberfest and will have plenty of activities to keep yourself far away from boredom.  

Some of the attractions hosted last year were black light climbing, laser tag, games, prize giveaways, food, etc. The annual attendance for this event is roughly 300 – 500 people (uwlax.edu), so go check it out and see what kind of fun you can have! 

University Police will be at the ready this weekend to help students be safe as well as keeping an eye on Operation River Watch (ORW). ORW is a student run group that is dedicated to patrolling the river and streets to make sure everyone is being safe. You can always reach out to either group if you ever need it and know that they will be there for you. 

So have fun this weekend, but in a safe way! Classes aren’t going anywhere so participate in activities that won’t set you back from the startup of the week. Happy Oktoberfest!