The Turkey Trot: A Race Meant for All

Tommy Kolinski, Staff Reporter

The Recreational Eagle Center (REC) hosted their 23rd Turkey Trot event on Saturday, Nov. 18 from 9 – 11 Am. The event consisted of a 5K race made up of community members and students of all ages. There were also other activities hosted by the REC that gave participants multiple opportunities to win prizes and have a good time.

The runners were led to the starting line at Mitchell Hall by the marching band and the three mascots that attended the event: UWL Stryker, Subway Sandwich, and the UWL Turkey. From there, the runners would start the race that would either be a challenge or just an opportunity to get out and about.

From Mitchell Hall, the runners would run through the Marsh out to the intersection of La Crosse Street and West Avenue. Continuing from there, the runners would travel back down La Crosse Street over to Laux Hall where they would then turn and end at the REC.

At the finish line, there were parents, friends, and other spectators ready to cheer the runners on as they neared the end of their challenge. Crossing that finish line, for many of the runners, was a thrilling experience that left smiles on their faces as they passed through the crowd of people cheering them on.

Another motivation to runners was the opportunity to win some prizes. Prizes were awarded to the top runners who finished in 24 minutes or less, but also those who best estimated the amount time it would take to finish the race.

The Turkey Trot isn’t all about speed and being athletic. This race is inclusive of all those that participate and join in on the festivities and fun. An even bigger picture of this event is building community.

“It’s cool to see people of all ages participating in this event and supporting one another throughout the entire thing,” UWL Junior Danielle Karch, who served as the Turkey Trot Rabbit, commented.

You’re never by yourself during the race. As the Rabbit for the race, Karch rides on a bicycle in front of the runners to make sure they know where to go and that everything is going okay. Not to mention there are lots of runners behind you.

“If you don’t want to run and would rather walk, that’s totally okay. You can do it alone or with a group of friends, either way, there is tremendous support and motivation from the community that gets you to the finish line,” UWL Senior Mykala Konrardy stated. “Even on a cold day, it still feels great to reach the end.”

If you missed the Turkey Trot this year, have no fear because it is an annual event. Simply keep an eye out for event posters and check the UWL Event Calendar for details next November. If you’re worried that this race isn’t for you, think again!

“Even if you’re not a very great runner, the community and the participants are extremely supportive, and you don’t feel left out,” Karch commented.

So, check out this event next year and be a part of the community where, as Konrardy states, “people come from everywhere to support each other.”