Season Preview: Women’s Swimming and Diving

retrieved from uwlathletics.com

retrieved from uwlathletics.com

Skyller Smith-Davis, Sports Reporter

With all of the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse’s fall sports ending with much success, UWL’s winter sports look to keep the train rolling. The UWL Women’s Swim and Dive team are one of those teams that is looking to make a big impact in the conference and nationally this season. 

UWL Sophomore Victoria Campbell said, “This is my second year with the team and I love it just as much as I did last year. I have been looking forward to this season since the end of last season.” 

This season is just underway as they have an official record of 1-0 with their win coming against The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire 169-131 on Nov 4. This past weekend the team placed second out of four teams.  

“We were really excited for our dual meet against UWEC. They are a great team to go against and we get very competitive,” stated Campbell. “The overall win was a confident booster for our freshman swimmers and definitely reinforced what we can accomplish when we all give high effort.” 

This year’s team is relatively young, with 17 freshmen and eight sophomores out of the total roster of 37, according to uwlathletics.com.  

“We have a great group of freshmen who have come onto the team with fresh attitudes to throw down and have great races. Their excitement mixed with our team’s overall drive is the perfect mix for a successful team,” explained Campbell, “I think with the great attitudes and races we’ve seen all ready, we will have no problem the rest of the season.” 

UWL’s Women’s Swim and Dive team has 17 conference championships coming into this season. They have won the WIAC title for the past six years straight, and have only had three conference losses in the past five years, with an overall record of 22-3 in the WIAC, according to wiacsports.com.  

“Our women’s team has a history of successful conference wins and we have plans to continue this trend. Our men’s team is looking stronger than ever and are very excited for the opportunity to race and win conference this year. Both women’s and men’s teams have goals to send swimmers to the NCAA Championships,” said Campbell. 

“Overall I am so excited to see everything we can accomplish this year. Seeing what we as a team can accomplish is incredible, but also watching your teammates improve after countless hours of training is also, very cool. I think our team is getting antsy to race at our bigger meets and prove what we’ve got,” concluded Campbell. 

The Eagles next home contest will be against St. Could State University, Saturday Jan. 12 in Mitchell Hall. Their next conference matchup will be against the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh Friday, Jan. 20 in Oshkosh.