UWL Wrestling 2-1 in Candlewood Suites Duals

Callie Heinrich

UWL at the Candlewood Suites Duals

Callie Heinrich, Sports Reporter

On Saturday, Dec. 2 the University of Wisconsin–La Crosse Wrestling team hosted the Candlewood Suites Duals. The team won two out of the three matches, making the team 19-2 all-time in the duals and maintaining an overall 3-1 record. 

The Eagles first match up was against Wartburg College in Iowa, who is currently ranked number one on the Division III National Wrestling Coaches Association Top-25 poll.  

Although Wartburg won overall, UWL Senior, Nelson Baker and UWL Sophomores Sawyer Massie and Konrad Ernst all won based on decision, collectively gaining 9 points for the Eagles.  

“I think the day started off a bit flat though. Against Wartburg, we just didn’t have the fight we needed and all the guys on the bench were not engaged in the matches as we should have been” noted UWL Senior, Sean O’Neil. 

“Although only one guy is wrestling on the mat at a time, it is still a team effort. It’s going to take all 10 of us to beat teams like Wartburg, not 9.” 

However, after the loss against Wartburg, UWL rallied back to win the next two duals. The first matchup was against Concordia College (Minn.) with an end score of 36-6.  

O’Neil and UWL Freshman, Zach Villarreal pinned their opponents in 30 and 34 seconds respectively, while UWL Sophomore, Jackson Schoen won by pinning his opponent in five minutes and 35 seconds..  

The final dual was against Cornell College (Iowa) where the Eagles outscored the Rams 40-3. UWL Freshman, Josh Fiegel, UWL Senior, Wesley Schultz, and Baker all received 6 points after their individual pins.    

“I think in the second and third dual, our team bounced back strong, winning big against two worthy opponents” O’Neil added, “the behind the scenes work is what makes the magic happen come competition day.” 

The Eagles face off against Luther College on Friday, Dec 8 at 7 p.m. in the Student Union.