Destressing Before Those Stressful Finals

Tommy Kolinski, Staff Reporter

Finals are back, and they are just as stressful as ever. With Thursday, Dec. 14 being the official study day for the 2017 Fall Semester, students were able to take some time to prepare for finals, but there is one important lesson to remember: don’t let stress overwhelm you. The Destress Fest Event was hosted in Centennial at the Hall of Nations from 11 AM – 2 PM to allow students to take a break and relax.

Hosted by the Office of Student Life and the Wellness and Health Advocacy Center, there were plenty of activities to help students relieve some stress. Some activities included: picture coloring, essential oils, massage station, bracelet making, and much more.

Students who attended were able to not only receive a break, but also be eligible to win some prizes. Simply by entering their email address at the entrance, students could win a bike helmet or a mix of other cool prizes.

There were some refreshments for attendees to enjoy while they relaxed. Grapes, pita chips, chip dip, and some other items were available to serve students as a reminder of the importance of snacking on something healthy in order to maintain focus.

The difficulty of finals varies from person to person and major to major, but they are finals all the same. Finals represent the end of the semester and serve as a tool to see how much you remember from the class. Finals aren’t something to take lightly and require preparation, no matter the course.

UWL Junior Shanna Weber and UWL Senior Madeline Coffey, both taking a break from studying, offered up some advice about finals while enjoying the activities.

“Making a plan to tackle what you need to do before you take the test is extremely helpful,” says Weber. “It helps you stay focused and you also feel accomplished as you check things off the list.”
“I like to reward myself for getting my studying done by watching Netflix,” says Coffey. “However, you have to have everything done before that otherwise Netflix will capture you forever.”

If studying is a struggle for you or the material isn’t making a whole lot of sense, Coffey says, “Go check out the tutors on the second floor of Murphy Library in the Learning Center.”

“The tutors are fantastic, so go see them because they are super helpful and will most likely be able to get you back on track with studying,” Weber added.

Finals can be scary, but the ultimate thing to remember is that you’re going to be okay. “You sat in the class all semester so as long as you were paying attention, then you’re going to do great,” Coffey comments.

If you weren’t able to make it to the Destress Event, there are resources available to you all over campus and are waiting to help you. When it comes down your final exam time, give it your all and you’ll do alright! Good luck, and remember to believe in yourself!