UWL Gymnastics Pull Through in Annual Triangular

Tyler Behm

UWL Gymnastics was victorious Firday

Tyler Behm, Sports Reporter

The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse Gymnastics team won the Annual Triangular Friday night. The Eagles had a score of 189.600, while the Blugolds from the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire ended up with a score of 183.750. Gustavus Adolphus scored 179.875 on the night. The Eagles earned 47.400 on the vault, 47.775 on the uneven bars, 47.300 on the balance beam, and ended the meet with a 47.025 on their floor routine. 

UWL freshmen Ellie Beckman, Sam Weyker, and senior Lauren Wilson took the top three spots in the floor routine while UWL senior Amy Enright, UWL sophomore Brooke Kachinsky, and UWL freshman Ellie Beckman=topped the list in parallel uneven bars. UWL senior Samantha Wiekamp, UWL sophomore Jessica Ahrens, and UWL junior Dani Barmore took the podium for the vault. UWL freshman Sam Weyker and sophomore Ally Blixt were first and second overall for the balance beam. 

“As a team, we had some setbacks, but I think we really pushed through. We came back around,” stated Blixt. 

UWL Head Coach Kasey Crawford had a different approach to the night, saying, “They did great…we really started strong [on] vault and bars… we really pushed through [on beam] fought hard, and we hit a lot of sets there.” 

“We got a little tired as we headed into floor, which is kind of typical this time of year; our last two freshmen went up and anchored great. Overall it was a solid performance,” Crawford continued.  

With the NCGA DIII Gymnastics Championship coming up on March 23-24, Crawford commented on how she is getting her team prepared, as they are the number one team in the country. “Right now, it’s about resting physically, and mentally getting us prepared, and we are definitely on the right track. We’re hitting our stride, and we’re just going to keep focusing on the details, and what it takes to get there.” 

UWL gymnastics has a little way to go, with three more meets before regionals start March 4 in St. Peter, Minnesota. Their next meet is Friday, February 9 against Winona State University (Minn.). The event will be in Mitchell Hall at 6:00 PM