Career Fair to Help Students Find Perfect Employer

Rachel Mergen, Staff Reporter

The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse’s Career Services will be hosting the spring career fair for students to connect with local employers on Wednesday, Feb. 28 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Attendees will have a unique opportunity to learn what companies are looking for in them while discovering what they truly want in such a company.

“A lot of people don’t really realize how many options and opportunities there are at the career fair, so I’m hoping they get the chance to see that,” Student and Event Planning Intern Alexis Wolf stated about what she’s looking forward to with the event. “We have roughly 80 employers that are coming. It’s really a variety of companies. There isn’t really a specific area or field.”

Wolf’s weeks recently have included making sure companies are able to register for the event and set up. She noted how there is a waiting list of employers looking to be included in the event.

PC: Rachel Mergen
Shown: Alexis Wolf

Businesses participating in the new career tours that will be open to students are Direct Supply, Charterpoint Wealth Strategies, City Year, Organic Valley, Kwik Trip, Courtesy Corporation, and General Beverage Sales Company. Wolf stated these employers will be very open with what they are looking for as they are searching for students in a variety of fields.

There will be three of these tour sessions. The first section of the tour will include a video explaining student and employer communications at a career fair, along with a question and answer panel with two seniors to examine what they wish they would have done earlier and how students should act within the career fair. The second section is when the students will be taken through the career fair and be connected with a few of the featured employers.

“It’ll give students the chance to network with employers without that nervousness, because a lot of times, especially younger students, they want to go the career fair but don’t really know what to do,” Wolf continued. “I think networking is a very scary thing for students. When you say the word, people run. I don’t think that should be the case.”

She mentioned how breaking into networking, especially with the help of the tours, can motivate students to work harder.

The career fair is an opportunity for both students looking for a job currently or students who are looking to find a future goal employer. Even for students who know what they wish to do with their lives, Wolf said, “It’s always good to go and see your options and what else is out there.”

She noted how some majors have a wide range of employment opportunities, and a career fair may open the students’ eyes to a position that they never even considered.

Undecided Sophomore Jori Gagas, who is looking at a major in science, said, “[Career fairs are] eye-opening and can be helpful seeing what jobs are out there to help find the best major.” She recognized that sometimes the key to choosing what a student should be studying is meeting employers who spark his or her interest.

Employers will be speaking to students about what skills, classes and experiences that would be useful in achieving their dream jobs.

Career services encourages students to wear business casual clothing—for men, possibilities include dress pants and a polo or a button-up shirt and for women, a dress and tights or dress pants and a nice blouse—to the event. They recommend students look on Handshake to research companies to save some time when wandering through the fair. Employers enjoy when students are knowledgeable about the business.

Confidence is key as students enter the fair, along with an understanding that the employers are excited to speak with them.

“Employers will approach you. I believe it helps [shier students] get out of their comfort zone,” Wolf stated, pushing away the idea that the fair is not the place for students who are on the shy side.

The fair will be on the second floor of the Student Union. Many signs will be posted, so Wolf believes it cannot be missed. The fair will be open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., but she recommends students show up early. The tours will start in room 3105, and the tour times are 10 to 11 a.m., noon to 1 p.m., and 2 to 3 p.m. Preregistration is suggested, but all students are welcome.