What’s Happening this Spring?

Retrieved from www.uwlax.edu

Retrieved from www.uwlax.edu

Karley Betzler, Staff Reporter

Spring is not quite in the air, but that’s not stopping the events happening in and around UWL’s campus. From comedy to archaeology, there is a lot going on throughout the remainder of the semester. Whether it’s a study break or a day trip, the UWL community has got it all.

On Monday, April 16, UWL’s Active Minds organization will be putting on an art show titled Active Minds Creative Souls. According to UWL’s Events Calendar, “The show will feature works of local artists who creatively express their experiences, beliefs, and ideas of mental health and mental illness through various mediums of art.”

Later that week, on Thursday, April 19, will be highlighting April’s designation as Sexual Assault Awareness Month. The Fifth Annual Ultimate Race: Sexual Assault Awareness will begin at the Clock Tower for both Registration and the race’s start. This race is modeled after the reality game show, The Amazing Race, and consists of teams of three to five people answering clues at stations around campus.

For a weekend getaway, join Outdoor Connection for their Canoeing the Wisconsin River trip. Soak up the natural, Wisconsin views and, “Float down the meandering river by day, then spend a night under the stars on one of the various sandbars” (UWL Events Calendar).

If you’re looking to experience nature without needing paddles, attend Exploring the Driftless with Bob Hurt. Landscape Photographer, Hurt, specializes in aerial photography, focusing on the Mississippi Valley Area. Hurt “is able to capture how special this place is and causes viewers to deepen their sense of place and want to protect and preserve this land we are fortunate to live on” (UWL Events Calendar).

If you’re feeling inspired by Hurt’s event to help the environment, attend the Annual Bluff Cleanup on Saturday, April 28. Meet the other volunteers at Grandad Bluff to help remove graffiti from the bluff sides. Wanting something involving a little more bluff climbing and not as much cleaning? On April 29, Outdoor Connection will be heading to the Sugar Loaf Bluff in Winona, Minnesota for a day of climbing suitable for climbers of all skill levels.

Another event that will let you enjoy the outdoors is happening on Friday, April 27. Drake Hall will be hosting a free Bag Toss Tournament in Drake Field and everyone is welcome. For a hands-on study break, volunteer your time to the story of humanity. Wisconsin Archaeology Month can be celebrated on May 5 with the Mississippi Valley Archaeology Center’s Volunteer Archaeology Field Survey Opportunity. According to UWL’s Calendar of Events, “The day will begin with an introduction at the archaeology laboratory, followed by helping with an actual field survey.” Then, “Participants will end the day back at the lab to wash the artifacts recovered and learn more about their history.”

Join UWL’s Kinesis Dance Theatre on May 4 and May 5 for a night filled with student choreography and dance. Expect an exciting performance set to the classical music of Mother Falcon. Feeling hungry after attending so many events? Check out La Crosse’s Restaurant Week starting Friday, April 20 going through Sunday, April 29. Participating eateries include Cabin Coffee, Fayze’s, Kate’s on State, The Mint, The Root Note, and The Breakfast Club.

For more information on events happening in the La Crosse area, check out UWL’s Events Calendar.

About the Writer
Karley Betzler, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Year at UWL: Junior
Hometown: Anoka, Minnesota
Major: Communication Studies with an emphasis in Media Studies
Minors: Criminal Justice and...