Farmers Market offers students a chance to relax before finals week

April Wolford, Student Government Reporter

Photo from Cameron Park Farmer’s Market FB page 

This time of the year, students are focused on little aside from the impending essays, exams, and presentations known as finals week. Likewise, this is the time of year when people finally open their windows, leave their jackets at home, and spend some time out in their community. The latter consists of many things – one of them being the farmers market. 

The Cameron Park Farmers Market has been a staple of the La Crosse community for the past 18 years. With a variety of vendors, the market offers individuals a chance to connect themselves with local farmers and artisans. For those students who dare brave any activity aside from studying during these last May days, the farmers market is a big hit.  

Beginning Friday, May 5, the Market will be held Fridays from 4-8 and Saturdays from 8-1. Students who will be taking classes over the summer have the opportunity to enjoy The Market all summer long, as the season ends in late Fall.  

Linda Vale, the Cameron Park Farmers Market Manager, explains that “the market is about connecting our people with fresh, local, sustainably grown food” and creating a positive social atmosphere for all of those that reside in La Crosse. Students can find vendors selling seasonal produce and locally farmed meats such as bison, fish, and shrimp.  

Vendors accept cash, EBT, or debit cards for attendees who want to buy market goods; the Market itself is free to attend. 

Booths are not limited to farmed produce, however. Market-goers can find food carts and trucks selling tacos or eggrolls for dinner and bakery items or ice cream for dessert. You can also find local artisans selling their creations – from soaps and essential oils to jewelry to children’s toys. Vale added that the Market has more than vendors to offer with “story time for the little ones and yoga classes and musical entertainment for all ages.” 

For those students who want to take a break from finals week, the Farmers Market offers fun, food, and (hopefully) sunshine!