La Crosse area Summer bucketlist

Karley Betzler, Staff Reporter

Sticking around the La Crosse area for the summer? Between working and recovering from our harsh, long winter, check out some of these local events and volunteering opportunities.  

On May 19, the Onalaska Omni Center will become home to every silent sport you can imagine. The Driftless Sports Convergence is coming back to kick off summer. From kayaking to archery, this free event has food trucks and live music to top it off.  

Looking for another kind of sport? To start off June, stop by the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse’s campus to watch the WIAA State Track and Field Championships on June 1 and 2.  

Want to volunteer and spend time outside? Check out volunteering at Wiscorps’ River to Ridge 5 Mile Run/Walk. The run starts at Riverside Park and is a guaranteed day of fun and summer memories. To learn more about how to volunteer, click here 

Unwind in the sun and get outside the weekend of June 3 and 4 for Wisconsin Free Fun Weekend. This is a statewide event to enjoy the first weekend in June. There will be free entries to state parks and forests, free fishing, free DNR trails, and Free ATV/UTV riding on public trails warranted for use.  

Can’t get enough of Shakespeare? Want to meet others who love his work? Check out the Great River Shakespeare Festival in Winona, MN. This festival will start June 22 and go on until August 5. This event includes everything from the Will Run, various plays, and Shakespeare inspired movies. Doesn’t matter if you’re a die-hard Shakespeare fan or not, this festival is guaranteed to be fun for anyone.  

The Second Annual Folk Life La Crosse is kicking off with talented, local craftsmen. Watch the tradesmen practice their craft and experience the old time skills. The cost is free with the purchase of a Historic Hixon House Tour, but $3 for adults and $2 for students. This Hixon House experience is a guarantee to make you feel like a time-traveler.  

Want to help kids learn how to become better fishermen? Volunteer, through Kids and Mentors Outdoors, at the Kids Fishing Day on June 2. The event begins at Mosey Landing Park in Onalaska at 9 am. This event is open to the public and will be a fun-filled morning on Onalaska Lake.  

Want the summer fair experience, too? The La Crosse Interstate Fair will return for the 128th time to the Fairgrounds in West Salem on July 18-22. Bring the entire family and friends for good food and summer fun! Looking for more summer fun? Tales in the Tent will be hosted at Castle La Crosse this year on July 19. Join in on this Storytelling Festival fundraiser with Tales in the Tent.   

Grab some friends and head Downtown in La Crosse on July 26 through 28 for Summer Days Sidewalk Sale and Street Dance. Celebrate summer with music and sales for everyone! Check out the La Crosse Jazz Orchestra on Pearl Street on Friday, July 27 at 7 pm to dance the night away. 

Looking for more music? Join the local bands, Pigtown Fling and River City Strings, for a relaxing night of music and fresh, local produce. Listen to great tunes while getting some shopping done and supporting local talent of all kinds. This free event will be held in Cameron Park, La Crosse on July 27.  

No matter what you decide to do with your summertime, remember to stay safe and enjoy the sun!