Ask 5: Students share what they are looking forward to during Oktoberfest

oktoberfestusa.com

Parades are a stand-out part of the weekend, with float riders waving to the large crowds with large smiles brightening their faces.

Chantal Zimmermann, Staff Reporter

La Crosse celebrates the longest-running Oktoberfest in the Midwest from Sept. 27-30. It begins with the Torchlight Parade and continues all weekend long. Along with the community, the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse students celebrate the 58th year of Oktoberfest together.

According to the official website of the City of Munich, the celebration of Oktoberfest was started in Munich, Germany, to commemorate the marriage between Prince Ludwig and Therese of Saxe-Hildburghausen. Men and women dress in lederhosen and dirndls, which are the traditional attire for the Bavarians.

In La Crosse, Oktoberfest is celebrated in a similar way. People travel to the city to celebrate and participate in the activities that Oktoberfest has to offer. They have polka bands playing, while the carnival rides and wiener races commence.

UWL students are ready to participate in some of the Oktoberfest festivities. UWL junior Lilli Minor mentioned that she will be participating in the Maple Leaf Parade, which begins at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 29.

“I am going to be in the parade. My boyfriend is going to be in it for his job. He works with C Doyle,” commented Minor. As for her other plans, she added that she is unsure about whether she will be going to the festival grounds or not.

Other students are ready to see what Oktoberfest is all about. Freshman Ashley Haasch has never experienced what Oktoberfest in La Crosse is like.

“I am looking forward to the different activities around campus. I want to go see the parade and I think I am going to see a lot of German festivities going on,” Haasch said.

However, some students are not celebrating in the Oktoberfest activities this weekend. Freshman Ryan Ace commented, “I probably won’t be there. I will be with friends instead. Just like a normal weekend for me, except with more people around.”

Others have the duty of working this weekend instead of going to the Oktoberfest grounds. “I have no plans for celebrating Oktoberfest. I work all weekend,” vocalized junior Noelle Else.

Just like Else, senior Bobby Gorde will work throughout the weekend. According to him, there is a highlight to the weekend though, having stated, “I am looking forward to the tip money.”

Whether students are participating in festivities or going to the Oktoberfest grounds, the festival continues to bring people to the La Crosse area.

To find the complete Oktoberfest schedule, visit oktoberfestusa.com.