UWL murder mystery event set for Halloween

Back to Article
Back to Article

share.uwlax.edu

share.uwlax.edu

share.uwlax.edu

Shayna Anderson, General Assignment Reporter

On Wednesday, Oct. 31, a murder mystery will be taking place in the Entertainment Cafe of the Student Union at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. The event will start at 6 p.m. and continue until 7:30 p.m. The event is being hosted by Union Programming.

Hannah Skibba, a coordinator of the event, while explaining how the coordinating team came up with this idea, said, “The Murder Mystery at the U is part of an effort to provide students with more fun activities and events in The U, especially at night and on the weekends. Mitch Berry, a graduate student, Hana Church and Megan Runkel, undergraduate students, have been spending time with me and Drea Higgins each week to brainstorm and plan events that students would really be interested in. Our Murder Mystery is UWL themed with components of the traditional game Clue mixed with Minute to Win It games.”

Due to the event-organizers trying to resemble the traditional board games that many students have played before, Skibba ran into a few challenges with the event. She described, “We had to determine a way to host the game without knowing the number of participants ahead of time. The group spent time planning a scavenger hunt, writing various codes to decipher, and writing stories and clues that incorporated UWL themed characters. We flushed out a lot of different ideas and are very proud of the final product.”

According to Skibba, UWL students can look forward to “solving a mystery while also participating in funny Minute to Win It games. There will be pizza served and prizes given away after the mystery has been solved. There will be candy too.”

Students are encouraged to wear costumes, as there will be extra prizes for those who do.

This event is the first of its kind. Skibba mentioned, “We hope that we can host an even bigger Murder Mystery party next year.”

The Union Programming is working to come up with many more ideas for events to be hosted in The U throughout the year. The next planned Union Programming event will be Card Game Olympics which is set for Nov. 10 at 3 p.m. in the E-Cafe. There will also be live music after the upcoming event.

To request disability accommodations for the event, contact Skibba at [email protected] or 608.785.8894.