Ask 5: Students express what they are thankful for this Thanksgiving

Shayna Anderson, Staff Reporter

It’s finally that time of year once again: the leaves have fallen, the air is transitioning from crisp to cold and students at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse are starting to give thanks for things they have.

Alaina Govek, a freshman at UWL, said she is thankful for “having access to healthcare and never having to worry about that.” Especially being away from home, she is thankful that if something happens when her parents are not around, she will still be able to get the help she needs.

On a more comical note, freshman Caleb Bohrer said, “I’m thankful for getting my paycheck every two weeks.” Most college students at UWL can likely relate to his response.

Student Nolan Paul mentioned, “I am most thankful for never having to worry about where my next meal is coming from. I always know that I will be able to eat, and a lot of people don’t have that privilege.”

Student Cat Gerschwiler stated, “I am very thankful for my family. I know that through thick and thin, they will always be there for me and support me. I am so excited to see them next week and spend the holiday being thankful for them.”

Reilly Fleming, a freshman student, said, “I am thankful for my boyfriend. He always knows how to put a smile on my face even on my worst days, and I just don’t know what I would do without him. I am very grateful.”

With exams, presentations and finals only a few weeks away, it is sometimes hard to remember everything students are so lucky to have. Thanksgiving provides an opportunity to take a deep breath, step away from the stresses of college and give thanks to the people and things that make this life worth living.