The Country Wife is coming to the UWL theatre department

uwlax.edu+

uwlax.edu

Jeanne Willcoxon, Guest Contributor

A classic Restoration Comedy mixes with glam rock on the Toland Stage!

The University of Wisconsin – La Crosse Department of Theatre Arts is proud to present a new twist on the classic Restoration comedy, The Country Wife,by William Wycherley. Director Greg Parmeter updates this fast-paced comedy of manners with inspiration from 1970s glam rock music and fashion to create a truly contemporary production of this 17th century classic.  Performances will take place on April 26-27 & May 1-4 at 7:30 p.m. and April 28 at 2:00 p.m. in the Toland Theatre, Center for the Arts on the UWL campus.

The Country Wife tells the story of William Horner, a notorious and lascivious man-about-town and his ingenious scheme for the rampant and mass seduction of the women of London society. By spreading the false rumor of his own impotence, he gains the sympathy of the husbands and, more importantly, free access to seduce their wives. Meanwhile, Mr. Pinchwife desperately tries to hide away his beautiful, innocent, new wife, Margery Pinchwife, from his much too eager friends. Will he succeed?

Popular for its lively characters and its double entendres, the bawdy comedy was originally vilified for immorality. Today, it is a stage favorite for its linguistic energy, sharp social satire and openness to varied interpretations.  Come see this exciting new look on a classic piece of repertoire this May in the Toland Theatre!

IF YOU GO:

WHO:  UW-La Crosse Department of Theatre Arts

WHAT: The Country Wife

WHERE: Toland Theatre, UW-La Crosse Center for the Arts located on 16th and Vine streets.

WHEN: April 26-27 & May 1-4 at 7:30 p.m. and April 28 at 2:00 p.m.

COST: $18 adults; $16 seniors citizens/non UW-L students; $6 UW-L students.  Tickets may be purchased online at www.uwlax.edu/theatre-arts.  In person/phone reservations begin April 22 by calling 608-785-8522.  Box office hours are Monday through Friday 1:00-4:30 p.m. and one hour prior to each performance. 

CAST: Alec Berchem, Carly Boles, Alexis Cimoch, Sarah Coppenbarger, Emily Farebrother, Steven Gage, Morgan Gates, Wriley Hoffner, Jasmine Kratt, Rachel Krause, Sarah Lambert, Peter Lee, Noah Mastaglio, and Evan Medd.

PRODUCTION TEAM: Greg Parmeter (Director), Hannah Steele (Stage Manager), Sarah Herkert (Sound Designer), Ben Golden (Lighting Designer), Megan Morey (Technical Director), Michelle Collyar (Costume Designer) David Skeef (Scenic Designer) 

Show Global Grounds cashier this article for a FREE bagel with the purchase of a regular-priced drink! Limit one coupon per customer.