Date rape and…nail polish?

Emily Schultz, Staff Reporter

No woman enters adulthood anymore without being warned about the dangers of date rape. We all know how this works. Scenario one: you’re at a crowded party or bar, you turn away to greet your pals and the lurker behind you drugs your drink. Scenario two: the rapist is actually a person you know. They slip Rohypnol into your drink while you’re in the bathroom checking your phone or simply not paying attention. Date rape drugs are tasteless, odorless and colorless, and therefore, we have no way of knowing whether or not we’re drinking the poison until it’s too late—until now!

That’s right. Thanks to four male students at North Carolina State University, the idea of “Undercover Colors” was born. Although the color-changing, drug-detecting nail polish has reached a huge audience via social media, sources such as Snopes.com, Jezebel and the Washington Post say it’s doubtful that the nail polish could actually work.

Regardless, the nail polish brings up an important and controversial discussion. On one hand, it’s wonderful to have an invention that helps people protect themselves from predators. On the other hand, it draws attention away from the rape itself, if one does occur. This leads to victim blaming—why was she walking home alone? Why was she wearing such a short skirt? Why wasn’t she carrying pepper spray, holding her keys between her fingers or wearing her nail polish?

“The nail polish is a good idea because even though we shouldn’t have to protect ourselves, date rape is still happening, and it’s good to have a preventative measure,” said senior Aubrey McDonald. “It’s not fair that women have to worry about date rape in the first place, but there will be scumbags no matter what.”

What this really comes down to is sexism. I’m not trying to silence men who are survivors of rape or claim that only women have Rohypnol slipped into their drinks—have you seen “The Hangover?” But doesn’t an invention like “Undercover Colors” seem to point out the fact that far more women live with this fear than men? Male students invented the product for women—if this wasn’t about gender, we’d see something a little more gender-neutral, like drug-detecting Band-aids.

There’s so much focus on rape prevention and so little focus on changing the world to not advocate for rape, as it often does. For starters, it’s all over the media. It’s in the way we talk about issues. Remember the story of the promising high school football stars who were found guilty of raping and posting pictures of an intoxicated 16-year-old girl? It’s in the way society frames masculinity: big, strong, dominant and promiscuous. These are the issues we should be discussing and changing, not types of nail polish women wear to safely go out at night. While it’s important to protect yourself, it’s more important to focus on the root of the issue, and that is rape.