Letter to the editor: Bike thefts

Dear Editor,

Another school year means another string of bike thefts already happening in the La Crosse community and on the UWL campus.

What is it about bikes that make so many people want someone else’s? Obviously the police have more important things to do with their time than search for bike thieves, so it should be the responsibility of bike owners to make sure they are being careful with their property. Having been a victim of bike theft this past summer, I now realize how important it is to protect what is rightfully yours.

Since we have to accept that bike thefts are happening and will continue to occur in La Crosse, we might as well protect them to the best of our abilities.

Something I suggest to all bike owners, buy a U-shaped hard case lock because it cannot be easily cut. Also, keep your bike in a well-lit area where it can be seen by passing pedestrians or cars. Lastly, make sure to secure tires and bike seats so they cannot be easily taken off.

My only hope is the people stealing bikes, and parts of bikes, will look back on their experiences and feel remorse for the childish things they did in college.

Sincerely,

Hailey Kunz

The sorority experience that is offered at UW-L is one of a kind.  While there may not be a house like you hear in many of the ‘sorority stories,’ Alpha Xi Delta (one of the two sororities at UW-L) sure feels like home.  There is a group of 50 women who are willing to stand behind a woman as she goes through one of the most challenging phases of life: College.  Not only that, but these women are pushing each other to realize their potential and be the best sisters, daughters, friends and women they can be.

The sorority pushes me to be a better person and allows me to see the true beauty in giving back to the community.  Last year, the UW-L Alpha Xi Delta chapter was able to raise over $3,000 for the Alpha Xi Delta National partner Autism Speaks.   This experience and being able to raise awareness for such a great purpose has encouraged me, along with other sisters, to seek out more ways in the La Crosse Community that we can lend a helping hand.

Sincerely,

Ashley Konkel

Dear Editor,

Some people choose The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse for the outstanding education, others for the beautiful views of the bluffs and the river. While those both had a huge part in my decision more than four years ago, the selling point of why I chose to attend UW-L and the reason why I love the city that surrounds me is the sense of safety that I feel. That is, until recent events on campus have compromised that exact sense of security. Sexual assault is not something to be taken lightly, and it is something that as a woman, I think about all of the time. However, this is something that I never thought would happen around me. Unfortunately, now I am thinking differently as I realize that sexual assault can happen anywhere at anytime in the most seemingly safest of places. I urge men and women alike to educate themselves in self defense, and understand that “no” means just that: no. Together, let’s stop the sexual assault on campus, in our community, and everywhere around us. Let’s work together to build back that sense of security and safety that has been compromised and hopefully my kickass self defense moves and pepper spray can continue to go unused.

Sincerely,

Anna Peeters

Dear Editor,

With recent events on campus, many have brought up the question of whether or not the students at UW-L feel safe on campus. As I enter my last semester on campus I reflect on my time here at the university and not once have I ever felt unsafe. I began to think of all the programs that the campus provides to reassures its students of their safety both physically and the overall environment on campus.

Take a walk through campus and you will almost always see University police on patrol both day and night. Over the summer they recently updated the blue-light emergency telephones that are located in various locations throughout campus, which when activated automatically calls campus police. Head in to one of our residence halls and you will be greeted by a front desk worker and two resident assistants who are on duty to tend to any student’s needs. The University also provides the Safe Ride which offers students transportation between campus and downtown. Not only does the campus provide around the clock services to provide physical safety, but also provides students with different organizations that aim to provide a safe environment for its students. Organization such as Campus Climate, Pride Center, Multicultural Student Services, and Disability Resource Service.

Although the University cannot predict what type of events will take place on campus I think they do a very good job at preventing unwanted incidents on campus and are prepared for what they might be faced with.

Sincerely,

Callie Frank

To the Editor:

With elections less than two months away, we’ve seen campaign ads featuring actual broadcasts across the state. More prominently to this area, local news anchors Mark McPherson and Lisa Klein were featured in a pro-Walker ad. The aftermath had the viewing audience assuming that Klein and McPherson, along with the rest of News Channel 8, supported Governor Walker.

No matter how news is broadcasted: Journalists report current events, without sharing their personal opinion. However, their appearance caused the general public to assume they had tarnished this vow of unbiased journalism in favor of Walker’s re-election, but the worst of it? “Political campaigns argue their ads do not generate a profit and are clearly labeled as campaign ads so they qualify for the fair use exemption. This is how political organizations can use news clips under copyright law” (News8000.com). To summarize: politicians can continue to use these newscasts to solidify their point, regardless of the aftermath it may cause.

Whatever happened to the advice of our parents, where we would be told to worry about ourselves? Does this advice get lost when those among us lace up the boots of politics? If politicians spent more time focusing on their own campaigns, by their own ways and means, it would be my humble opinion that there would be less to pick up the pieces that these politicians break in their wake.

Sincerely,

Alex Riley