Get your happy feet kickin’

Dustin Skolaski, Staff Reporter

In the Declaration of Independence, penned in 1776, there stands a phrase that has often been quoted and cited as the principles of life, “Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.” While the debate about the first two rages on in the outside world, the pursuit of happiness is an internal struggle.
UW-La Crosse hosts a freshman class of 1,975 students and, as exciting as a new life and experiences in college are, there is also a whole new level of stress and pressure placed on these students. Whether it is adjusting to their living situation, responsibilities placed on them or the difficulty of their courses all students are dealing with something. It is important, especially early on, to find a balance of being happy and being productive in college.
An article recently published by CNN singles out seven ways to boost happiness and it can definitely be applied to new students of UW-L.
The first, “start by changing your attitude,” is arguably the most difficult on the list, as it is difficult to flip the switch to turn the glass from half empty to half full. The effort to do so, however, is critical. There is an anonymous quote that goes, “An angry dog went into a room full of mirrors and was greeted with many dogs snarling at him, while a happy dog went into the same room and saw a bunch of dogs wagging their tails excited to see him.” It is important to realize that others are the window through which one sees the world, and the window must remain defogged.
Learn from people who are happy is next up on the list. When one first comes to college, they will immediately start forging friendships, and the people they surround themselves with are very important, as they will have a direct effect on  their personality. A group of students always laughing and making the most out of their day is a more positive choice than a group of students that appear to be headed in the wrong direction.
Work less is a much more difficult one to find balance in college. There is the immediate stress of wanting to attain, and maintain, a high GPA, but it is important to understand the ability to wind down in during spare time. This is where many students turn to Netflix. A binge of Breaking Bad or BoJack Horseman is a great way to wind down after an excruciating Chemistry lab. It is also key for a student to prioritize.
Student Ryan Dugenske said, “The most important thing is staying ahead of your school responsibilities. It might not seem like it’s important in the short term, but it will make you happy in the long run. When people are stressed and scrambling at exams, you’ll be relaxed, focused and happy.”
Focusing on experience and building a social network are the two that most students should be able to do with relative ease. It is true when they say the college years are the best of a student’s life. They’re making friends, making memories and experiencing this all on the cusp of adulthood as new experiences come their way. Joining clubs is definitely one way for students to reach out to a new group of people who share a common interest and will boost happiness and enjoyment of UW-L.
Volunteering, also on the list, serves not only as a great resume builder, but also as a way to feel good about oneself. There are many great organizations that could use the help of a student, and there are many different types of fields where one could volunteer that could give them a real world feel of what their potential career will be like.
The last one on the list is just laugh. Go outside and laugh at a squirrel. Laugh in lecture when you remember something funny from last night. Always make the most of every moment and be sure to look for the silver lining in all situations.