UW-L Theatre Department performs 8 (the play)

Emme Harms, Staff Reporter

In 2008 in California, same-sex marriage became illegal by way of Proposition 8. The amendment stated that “only marriage between a man and woman is valid or recognized in California.” A right that had once been constitutionally protected was now stripped away and met with fierce retaliation. The UW-La Crosse theater department’s fall production entitled, “8,” takes us back to 2008 California and the fight to overturn Proposition 8.
In 2009, The American Foundation for Equal Rights (AFER) filed a lawsuit, known as Perry v. Schwarzenegger, to challenge the constitutional amendment. The court ruled in favor of the plaintiffs and deemed Proposition 8 as unconstitutional, lifting the ban on gay marriage in 2010. However, the court refused to publicize a video recording of the proceedings, prompting Academy Award-winner, Dustin Lance Black to find the truth. “8” uses actual testimony from the trial and first-hand interviews with the plaintiffs and their families. Performed in a staged-reading style, “8” attempts to shed light on a true account of what transpired in the courtroom.
The story begins with gay couples Kris (Maddie Napoliski) and Sandy (Sophia Goodner) and Paul  (Lewis Youngren) and Jeff (Aamer Mian), played by Maddie Napoliski, Sophia Goodner, Lewis Youngren and Aamer Mian. Both are gay couples wanting to get married, but are banned by Proposition 8. They team up with attorneys Ted Olson, played by Quinn Masterson and Dave Boies, played by  Seth Von Steidl to overturn the amendment that took away their right to marry.
The UW-L students performing in the show found it to be a very powerful piece. When asked what she felt was special about the show, senior Erica Bush gave a quote from the play that the cast and crew felt encompassed what the show was trying to achieve.
“Your Honor, the plaintiffs are in the same position as Mildred Jeter and Richard Loving, who in 1967 had no interest in diluting the institution of marriage. They only wanted to marry the person they loved, the person of their choice, who happened to be a person of a different race. That’s all the plaintiffs desire, the right to marry the person they love, the person of their choice, who happens to be of the same sex,” she recited.
Performances will be held on Oct. 17-18 and 23-25 at 7:30 p.m., and Oct. 19 and 26 at 2 p.m. in the Toland Theater, Center for the Arts.
Immediately following the showings on Oct. 18, 19, 23 and 24, the UW-L Department of Theatre Arts will host talk back sessions featuring the cast and director, members of the LGBT community, area clergy and/or political representatives.  These sessions are to spark an open dialogue regarding the topics presented in the play and to encourage understanding about both sides of the case for marriage equality.
Tickets go on sale at 1 p.m. Monday, Oct. 13.  Box office hours are 1 to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays, and one hour before show times.  Tickets are $16 for adults, $14 for senior/non UW-L students and $5 for UW-L students; call (608) 785-8522.