Study Abroad Fair offers international adventures

Jenae Winter, Staff Reporter

Set up in a small, casual atmosphere in Valhalla Center, was the Study Abroad Fair on Oct. 9. Tables that had banners of numerous countries were arranged in a circle in which people were itching to tell those interested about their specific study abroad location.

Most students are aware of the option to study abroad during their college career, and many majors have available courses through the programs in different countries. However, there are a variety of options that are offered.

Options range from Spain and London to Australia and New Zealand, from Scotland and Germany to Costa Rica and Japan. For the first time ever at UW-L, the option to travel to South Korea is being offered for art and music majors. All potential countries would give insight into a different culture, as well as coursework.

One of the most exotic choices, however, is Fiji. It may seem a little odd, but the University of South Pacific does business and science studies there. A definite perk is that the weather is most often very nice.

One presenter commented, “We’re not supposed to have favorites, but Fiji is mine.”

Another possibility is Rwanda. The trip to this African country is only offered during J-Term and does not cater to any specific major. Throughout the trip around the country, the focus will be on sustainability, as Barbara Rusterholz said. Sustainability of all kinds: political, economic, social and environmental will be studied. There are homestays on this trip, similar to other options, and there will be excursions to national parks as well as sites where the Rwandan genocide took place. Survivors of the genocide also will tell their stories to those visiting.

However, more than just the place is offered. Experience is half the reason to study abroad. Adventure Travel Study, which goes to mostly Australia and New Zealand, is a very different type of studying abroad. The trip travels very often, staying in one place for about two nights, and then moving on. This trip is perfect for adrenaline junkies, as outdoor adventures are the focus.

Many people may find studying abroad more attractive than the traditional manner of studying, however their financial concerns seem to loom over this chance of a lifetime.

Kayla Burich, a senior here at UW-L said, “Don’t stress about money. There are so many financial opportunities.”

Burich spoke passionately about her time in Spain, where she studied over the summer of her junior year. She said it helped her with school credits, allowing her to double major and graduate in four years, and she had a lot to say about the classes offered on the other side of the world as well.

“The classes were about experiencing the world,” Burich stated, going into detail about classes at real art museums and out and about, rather than in a classroom.

The component that was most important to her were all of the experiences. She traveled to many places in Spain (which did not cost much in euros; a huge benefit), made memories with her host family and had the opportunity to see historic sites of all kinds.

Studying abroad is a great opportunity for many college students that provides experiences and memories for those who decide to participate.

Just because the fair is over does not mean there is no information on studying abroad. Stop by the Office of International Education located in 1209 Centennial Hall if the option to experience the world is appealing.