Battle of the Books brings trivia to book-lovers

This year, UW-L is offering a Battle of the Books competition, something totally new on campus for book lovers. Battle of the Books is a trivia competition, similar to Jeopardy, where students read ten books from a list of Young Adult novels and are then quizzed by a panel of judges. Linda Jerome, Teen Librarian at the La Crosse Public Library, gave a presentation on Oct. 9 and explained why Battle of the Books, a popular game for students in elementary and middle school, is relevant to college students.
Jerome said, “The 18 to 29 year old demographic is the biggest in buying Young Adult novels.”
She also wanted to honor that October is the Month of the Young Adolescent by kicking off the Battle of the Books. “The collaboration for Battle of the Books is an effort towards the growing relationship between Murphy Library and the Public Library,” Jerome said. It is also a great way to promote reading and show that the public library is a useful tool for on-campus students, as well. The La Crosse Public Library is located on 800 Main Street, and information about Battle of the Books can be found there as well.
The book list for the Battle includes popular novels like “Holes” by Louis Sachar and “Doll Bones” by Holly Black, as well as others like “Mockingbird” by Kathryn Cushman and “The Mysterious Benedict Society” by Trenton Lee Stewart. The books vary in genre, so there is something for everyone and most are easy reads that will not take too much time out of busy days.
The rest of the book list is available to see on posters around campus as well as the Murphy Library website at librarynews.uwlax.edu/battle_of_the_books.
Anyone within the campus community can create a team to participate in the Battle but are encouraged to limit it to teams of three to four members. The deadline to register is Oct. 24, and the registration to is on the website. The competition itself will be held on Dec. 2 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. in Murphy Library, and it’s a great way to have some fun and de-stress right before finals.
Food and refreshments will be provided on the day of the competition, and prizes will be awarded to the first, second and third place winners, such as gift cards to Murphy’s Mug.
For more information, check out any of the posters around campus, the Murphy Library website, or contact Marc Manke at [email protected].