Student Life Office provides solace for sexual assault victims

Alexander Johnson, Staff Reporter

“If you want to keep a secret, you must also hide it from yourself,” said George Orwell in his novel, 1984. Everyone possesses a secret that they hold close to themselves, to avoid the pain or embarrassment of others finding out. Perhaps they fear that those they confide in will not keep their trust, only hurting them in the end. Or, quite possibly, the thought of losing a close friend from a secret becomes too much to bear.

Recent events on the UW-La Crosse campus have sparked conversations of student safety, reaction of the administration and confidential reporting regarding sexual assault, stalking and relationship violence. In the past, when a student reported an incident involving sexual harassment, the authorities were contacted and an investigation followed. If a student was sexually assaulted, they may not have reported the incident immediately or simply at all.

Fortunately, UW-L has implemented the Campus Saves Act, requiring the university to offer confidential reporting options. These options include how to preserve evidence, the right to not disclose information to the authorities and information about counseling, health options and legal assistance.

The act also requires all incoming freshmen to take an online program, educating the students about sexual assault, how to notice signs someone has been sexually assaulted and where to go to report the incident. This program further educates the student body in order to create a safer campus and community in the future.

On the UW-L campus, the suggested place to confide in is the Student Life Center, specifically Ingrid Peterson, the Violence Prevention Specialist.

Peterson, a dedicated worker, noted “Students or faculty in a violent relationship

or who have been sexually assaulted can speak to myself or the Student Life Center with the promise of utmost confidentiality.”

The Student Life Office strives to create a safer, nonviolent campus and community. In addition to the Student Life Office, other confidential resources on campus include the Counseling and Testing Center and Student Health Center. In the La Crosse community, the Gunderson Health System and Mayo Clinic Safe Path Health System can be utilized.

Each of these accommodations offers confidentiality, counseling and help for the victims of sexual assault, yet students do still have the option to report the incident to the proper authorities in order to seek justice.

If any student has been sexually assaulted, please do not hesitate to contact or visit any of the locations mentioned. The Student Life Center can be reached at 608.785.8062 and is located at 149 Graff Main Hall