Student Health Center: health screening form and resources

Abby Deyo, Guest Contributor

The Student Health Center has been working closely with the La Crosse County Health Department to keep our students and campus protected from COVID-19COVID-19 is a Coronavirus strain which is currently spreading across the United States, and can cause illness from mild to severe. We are getting increasing reports of more severe illness even in young, otherwise healthy patients.

All students who live or work in La Crosse County, please complete this symptom and travel form:

https://forms.gle/n3MSmuKtXhqgJWgN7

If you are experiencing cough, fever, difficulty breathing or other symptoms please call the Health Center 608.785.8558 or your local health care provider as soon as possible

The City of La Crosse is currently seeing community spread of COVID-19, meaning you can get the virus from close contacts where you live. To prevent getting and spreading COVID-19 make sure you practice good personal health habits to prevent exposure.

Avoid close contact with others and practice social distancing.

• Stay at home as much as possible. Cancel events and avoid groups, gatherings, play dates, and nonessential appointments.
  • Avoid gatherings of 10 or more people.
  • Stay at least 6 feet away from other people, when possible.
  • Stay home when you are sick, except to get medical care.
  • Wash your hands regularly for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
  • Avoid touching your face, eyes, and mouth when in public
    Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow.
  • Clean frequently touched surfaces and objects daily (for example, tables, countertops, light switches, doorknobs, and cabinet handles)

You should begin a self-quarantine if any of the following applies to you:

• You recently traveled to a country with widespread transmission, according to the CDC.
  • You recently traveled to a U.S. state with sustaining community transmission. (To find the list of states, visit this CDC page, click the gray “States” bar beneath the map, and look for states marked “yes” under “Community Transmission.”)
  • You are showing symptoms of the virus, including fever, cough and shortness of breath

The Student Health Center is open and here to assist you Monday through Friday (8 a.m. to 4 p.m., opening 9 a.m. Tuesdays) We are not accepting any walk-in appointments. We recommend only making an in-person appointment if you have an essential need, but phone appointments are available for routine visits. Appointment can no longer be web-booked, so please call 608.785.8558 to schedule. Please inform the scheduler if you have a fever, cough, difficulty breathing, or travel out of La Crosse in the last 14 days.

The Counseling & Testing Center has suspended all in-person services until further notice. However, students can still connect with us in several ways! See our website for information on how to schedule a phone consultation with a counselor, and for resources to help you cope with added stress from the health crisis. https://www.uwlax.edu/counseling-testing/

If you need a refill on your medications, please request via online form on the Student Health Center website. You may be asked to complete a phone appointment if you are overdue.

COVID-19 testing is not offered at the Student Health Center. Instead, contact local health providers.

Mayo Clinic: 608.785.0940
Gundersen Health System: 608.782.7300