Coffee Hour focuses on politics and exchange programs

Jenae Winter, Staff Reporter

At 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 14, the Cultural Coffee Hour took place in the classroom of Eagle Hall. Although coffee was available, tea, cocoa and various snacks were also available to choose from.

“This has been going on for a few years now,” Katie Van Wyk, a graduate student at UW-L who helps run the Coffee Hour, said.

At each table, there was either an exchange student or a student who has studied abroad at some point during their career at UW-L. All of these students had something prepared to present to the people at their respective tables. All presentations dealt with something along the lines of political science, as that was the theme for the night. Students who have traveled abroad or are a part of an exchange program here are the only ones who can present, though Van Wyk assured the coffee hour was open for any student to attend.

“These are the student’s own perspectives,” Van Wyk reminded at the beginning of the session. “They are not representing their country as a whole.”

The word presentation may seem a bit foreboding, but each table turned out having an in-depth, intellectual conversation. Discussion and questions are encouraged, and often requested, by the person presenting.

Even though political science was the theme for the meeting, there was a large range of topics that were spoken of under that theme. From the political details of the Netherlands to the single child policy and censorship in China, there was quite a lot to be learned outside of the classrooms UW-L’s students spend almost every day in.

The next Cultural Coffee Hour will be taking place in the Hall of Nations on Oct. 28 at 4p.m., with the focus being STEM fields, and the door is open for those who wish to attend.