News Release: UW-La Crosse food drive supports students in need

Kyle Farris, Guest Contributor

A UW-La Crosse food drive to help students in need has brought in nearly 3,000 items and counting. After 10 days of donations, the university’s satellite food pantry in the Whitney Center is stocked with a wide range of canned goods, cereal, snacks, personal care items and more.

“The UWL campus is a very generous community,” says Will Van Roosenbeek, director of LGBTQ Services & Programs at UWL, who helped lead the food drive. “We care a great deal about our students. As soon as the call went out, people began reaching out and asking how they could help.”

Van Roosenbeek says donations poured in from staff, faculty and the broader community. Professors Eddie Kim (mathematics) and Lee Baines (biology) held a concert outside Kim’s house, raising $350 for the pantry.

Colleen Dixon, Office/Testing coordinator at UWL’s Access Center, and her daughters sewed masks for friends and co-workers, raising another $200. Students who have used the pantry are deeply appreciative, according to a university survey.

“You guys help out a lot with groceries,” one student wrote. “I really enjoy being able to grab cereal, peanut butter and Mac n cheese cups from the food pantry. You help out a lot with my grocery bill, thank you.”

The food pantry will be open for the remainder of the spring semester. It’s accessible from 12 to 6:30 p.m. daily in the Whitney Center.