Wheels for All event raises awareness for those who are wheelchair-bound

Alexis Zuel, Staff Reporter

UW-La Crosse hosted its 7th Wheels for All event at 9 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 25, in Mitchell Hall Gymnasium. Wheels for All is an event where students and staff, with or without disabilities, can play 4-on-4 wheelchair basketball to raise awareness for those with disabilities. All of the money raised went to the Center on Disability Health and Adapted Physical Activity.
There were many teams that participated in the wheelchair basketball tournament this semester. Two teams played each other at each of the three courts for two 12 minutes halves. Each team was given one 90 second timeout per half. About every 40 minutes there was a new set of teams playing. The winning team would then advance in the bracket. Throughout the day, teams would play each other to win a spot in the finals. The winner of each division took home a prize.
“The experience of playing basketball in a wheelchair is definitely different. It makes me think about what it would actually be like in real life to get around in a wheelchair,” said Erik Jedele, a student and participant in the Wheels for All event.
When players were on offense with the ball, they were still required to dribble the ball with one hand as in regulation basketball. The general pattern was dribbling the ball around every five seconds after a player was done wheeling themselves down the court.
Jedele said, “I had a fun time though.”
It cost $5 per person, and with that teams received a free t-shirt. Food and beverages including Gatorade, water and granola bars were offered at the concession stand. While teams were waiting around to play, they could participate in miniature games like rely races, basketball games or shoot the basketball around.
Volunteers were brought in to help with the event. They ran the  miniature games and were scorekeepers, ball keepers or referees. All were helping out for a good cause.
Every year since this event started in 2011, there has been an increase in participants and money raised explained Brian Gordon, sport management program director.
This past spring semester they added an additional sport to the event: wheelchair handball.
“Handball is fun if you know how to play. It is difficult though and hard to find players to recruit that know how to play the game,” explained Gordon.
There will be another Wheels for All event coming in the spring of 2015. This will be an opportunity for more volunteers to help out. Join a team, because there is no experience needed other than a fun and positive attitude. Stay tuned and keep eyes open.
For more information, contact Gordon at [email protected].Brian GordonBrian Gordon
Erik JedeleErik Jedele