4th Annual Battleship event at UW-La Crosse

Alexis Zuel, Staff Reporter

Many know Battleship as a board game played by two people. These two people guess where the other’s ships are on their grid and try to guess where the entire ship is. In other words, try to “sink” them.
On Friday, April 10, in the Mitchell Hall pool, The RecSports Center hosted their fourth annual Battleship event. This is one of the most popular events that they do for the students.
This event consisted of 14 four-person teams. Years past, there have been up to 25 teams who participated.
The teams in the tournament were: Boats Full of Sailors, Dances with Waves, KATS, Seat Turtles, Sea World, Sink ‘Em, Team Good-looking, The USS Flip-flop, US LAX, Victorious Secret, We Have a Dream, Without a Paddle, Xtreme Z and Yeah Bouy.
Sea World went on to become the champion for the third year in a row.
The goal of the game was to “attack” other teams. Each team was in a canoe and used buckets or other tools that were available to sink or tip the other competing team’s canoe over. The only way the teams moved their canoes was with their hands or the other tool they were given.
This event was played in heats, and the last canoe floating would win that heat and advance with the second place team to the finals. Only three to four canoes were in the water for each heat.
The teams got really into this event. Buckets were mostly used to throw water in the other team’s canoes, while they were also greatly used to scoop the water out of the canoes.
Casey McHugh, a team member from Team Good-looking, talked about her experience with the tournament. “The hardest part was having the water you throw actually reach the opponent’s boat and making sure not to fill the bucket up to a point where you [could’nt] throw it,” McHugh said.
This event required more than just throwing water from a bucket at another team, but also strategy.  It was easy to tell the teams that came in with a plan and those who did not. The best method was the distance a team placed themselves away from another team, and each team member had a part in executing a plan.
McHugh expressed, “I had a lot of fun and I would most definitely do it again.”
Think this event seems fun? Mark a calendar for next spring season for the Rec Sport’s 5th annual Battleship event and make sure to sign up.