UW-L Campus gets connected with Ugetconnected

Elena Montanye, Copy Editor

In past years, the UW-La Crosse staff have updated the community agency guide once per school year to introduce students to non-profit organizations seeking volunteers. Although the project had all the right intentions, it quickly became outdated as needs changed, making it more difficult for interested students to find opportunities to lend their services to the community.

This year, there is a new and improved way for students to find volunteer opportunities: Ugetconnected. The project officially launched last week, providing opportunities to students at UW-L, Viterbo and Western Technical College.

By searching ugetconnected.org, interested students may search for local non-profits in need of extra help. The opportunities listed may be ongoing volunteer projects or simply one-day events, so students can choose how much time they are willing to commit.

One of the many organizations connected through the partnership is Capable Canines, a non-profit that trains service dogs to work with disabled individuals. President Eve Zellmer is excited about the potential of Ugetconnected.

“To be able to get out to a broader spectrum of people, to have all the non-profit agencies together, truly is a huge benefit to the community,” she said.

Capable Canines is just one of many non-profits that often utilize the time and talents of college students. Big Brothers Big Sisters of the 7 Rivers Region, Boys and Girls Club of La Crosse, Children’s Miracle Network Hospital, The Coulee Region Humane Society and dozens more agencies have created profiles on Ugetconnected to reach out to the volunteers that keep their organizations afloat.

Zemmler noted that organizations are thrilled to have any and all help they can get, saying “We love finding fresh faces to help out.”

By logging onto the website, users can sort through the dozens of postings to find opportunities that best fit their interests. They can search by date posted, agency or interests, and all the information stays updated and relevant. Each organization that posts has created a profile page describing a bit about their organization’s mission statement and the help they are most in need of, in addition to contact information and how to get involved.

The website also provides students the opportunity to log their personal volunteer hours online. This feature is ideal for those keeping track of hours for a class or a club, saving time and avoiding missed hours. Volunteer résumés can be created to keep tabs on every community service activity the student has done throughout their college career.

To get involved with the La Crosse community, go to ugetconnected.com or contact [email protected] to answer any questions.