Viewpoint: Love for Marching Band Never Dies

Gretchen Kent, Viewpoint Editor

Even as a senior in college, the fall weekend I look forward to most is going home in mid- October to cheer on my high school marching band at state. I’ve gone every year, barring one, (I attended via Skype) since my freshman show way back in 2010. This year is no exception!  

I know many alumni of high school band want nothing at all to do with it after graduating, but I miss it dearly and semi regret not joining the Screaming Eagles at UWL! My memories of night rehearsals, competitions, Saturday band camps, marching in parades, band trips, and pictures with friends in our classy uniforms are a staple of my high school experience. 

Perhaps it’s because the Oak Creek Marching Knights are such a huge band (and therefore so impressive) that I get caught up in school spirit when I performed with them or watch them now. Actually, after having no high school ties anymore, I still get caught up in band pride during the marching season (as cheesy and lame as that sounds).  

Now, joining the audience, the novelty and appeal of my high school marching band has not been lost to me. I watched my sister finish out her marching days succeeding me, and my brother is now in his second to last year as a Knight. I’ve been back to my hometown to cheer them on whenever I can! 

Today is the State competition at UW-Whitewater and I am as excited as ever to see my alma mater band, now 330 strong, take the field. I’ve prepared by binge-watching all my past shows, and my older sister’s and younger siblings’ shows as well. Hearing the music and watching the final product of weeks of hard, frustrating, exhausting, rewarding, work makes my heart swell. I just love it.  

This weekend, as I sit in the rainy stands at Whitewater searching the 500 trumpets on the field for my little brother, I will be no less proud of the OC Marching Knights probably earning first place in class AAAA as when we won third place all of my high school years. I’m going to soak it all in and cheer like crazy for the sport that holds my heart. 

I know it is easy to forget about high school and the activities we were once involved in, but I’ve learned these experiences prep us for college. While I wish I would’ve joined the Screaming Eagles, I encourage you and your friends to pursue the things you loved in high school at UWL. Don’t let your passions get left behind in the collegiate world.