Viewpoint: Open Season and an Open Mind

Trail camera picture by Skyller Smith-Davis.

Skyller Smith-Davis

Skyller Smith-Davis

Skyller Smith-Davis, Sports Reporter

This upcoming weekend is time when lots of Wisconsinites, from as far north as the Upper Peninsula border down to Janesville wake up before the fog has lifted, before the frost on the yard has thawed, all to do the same thing. 

To suit up in their once-a-year blaze orange vest, pants, and hat and sit in the middle of the woods in during a frigid Wisconsin winter day.  

“My favorite part of the whole deer hunting season is being able to get out in the woods and seeing family and friends,” University of Wisconsin-La Crosse Junior Sam Yoder said. 

Nov. 18, 2017 is Wisconsin’s annual whitetail deer gun season opener. On this day over 600,000 people will suit up and head for their stand attempting to shoot a trophy buck, according to dnr.wi.gov.  

“I really enjoy the whole experience in the woods. Also, I love the taste of venison, especially if it’s from a deer that I put the work into harvest,” reminisced Yoder. 

Deer hunting is Wisconsin is a long lasted and time test tradition. This year will mark Wisconsin’s 166th nine-day deer hunting season. Many changes have come along the way. Going from times when tags were at a premium, to times when there was practically no limit to how many deer a person could bag. 

In more recent years, a few important changes have come along that have brought the process into the 21st century. Now, hunters can register their deer electronically rather than having to bring it to a registration facility. 

Also, just this year the hunting age restrictions have been lifted. The law previously stated that a child must be of at least 10-years-old and be accompanied by a mentor. As of this season, there is no age limit anybody child can hunt with the supervision of a mentor, according to dnr.wi.gov.  

There is controversy among the masses on deer hunting or any hunting for the matter. There are also many different arguments brought about whether it is ethical, safe, what did the deer do to you, etc. 

Deer hunting has become better and better every year. This year it might be the best. As college students our stress levels are usually through the roof and finding something to clear your mind is always recommended.  

Nothing is more mind clearing that sitting in the woods. No phone, no people, just you and nature. Listening to the bird chirp, the squirrels run up trees and scanning for the puffy white butts of whitetail deer.  

There is nothing to worry about when in the woods, lay your rifle across your lap and sit there and think about whatever comes to mind. And do not worry, no matter what anything your dad or uncle or grandpa say, it is ok to get some shut eye every once in a while.  

“I would recommend hunting to most people. The only people I would not recommend it to were the people who were very against killing any animals. I personally think that hunting connects me to nature more than any other experience,” stated Yoder.