Ask 5: Google Drive vs. Microsoft SharePoint

Allison Steele, Student Government Reporter

Many students have heard about Google Drive and Microsoft SharePoint. They both are able to aid students and others in collaborating on projects. With this collaboration, multiple parties are able to edit the same documents at the same time. SharePoint has the ability to make lists and create workflows. Google Drive, on the other hand, is cheaper to use and is free until the consumer goes over 15GB.

A lot of different schools favor Microsoft SharePoint over google drive. At UWL more people use Microsoft over Google. However, in some high schools, google drive tends to be more popular and more students are familiar with it. But what do the students prefer between these two? These five UWL students shared their input on whether the university should use google drive or Microsoft SharePoint and what one they prefer.

Freshmen, Madi Storie said she prefers google drive. She stated, “I know how to use google drive more, and I haven’t had to use SharePoint yet.” Storie hasn’t had the need to use SharePoint but she added that she would be open to using SharePoint as well.

Shelby Riese, freshmen agreed with Storie on preferring Google Drive. She is another student who isn’t familiar with SharePoint and prefers google drive. Riese said, “I used drive in high school, and I’m more familiar with it. I think it’s a great platform for student collaboration.”

It may seem like students enjoy google drive more, but that isn’t the case. Even though SharePoint may not be as widely used to some, those who do use it tend to prefer it more. At first Maddie Kittleson, junior favored drive, however that changed once she used SharePoint. She stated, “Now that I know how to use SharePoint, I prefer it more.”

However, freshman, Luke Zoroufy sees both sides. Zoroufy does prefer one over the other, but he also understands why they may both be popular. “I like google drive more. It’s easier to use, however with changing systems, it could be tough using Google Drive,” he stated.

Katie Turner, sophomore, also agrees with Storie and Riese. She stated, “I prefer google more and I use it more. I think it’s more compatible with all devices. Microsoft can get confusing when you have to download it and use it on your laptop.”

In a random sample, most people chose Drive over SharePoint. However, even though many people prefer Google Drive, it isn’t what everyone opts for.  Which one is better depends on preferences and what one each student may use more. The debate between Microsoft SharePoint and Google Drive will continue to be discussed for as long as each one is used.