Midterm Elections: What you need to know

retrieved from madison.com

April Noethe Wolford, Student Government Reporter

Wisconsin is quickly approaching its midterm elections, which often leaves voters questioning what’s at stake and how they can make their voices heard at the polls. 

In La Crosse county, residents will be voting for the Attorney General, Secretary of State, State Treasurer, and Representative to the Assembly positions. County positions which are up for grabs consist of Sheriff, Clerk of Circuit Court, and Coroner. 

While the majority of these votes are routine, the one position which has been causing the most division is the race for Governor. Republican Governor Scott Walker is running for his third term while Democrat State Superintendent Tony Evers is trying to flip the state with his promises to improve education and road conditions. 

Midterm elections are usually an opportunity for minority parties to gain a foothold in the political agenda, but Wisconsin is especially prone to this pattern during this year’s election. With the aftermath of the attempted recall of Governor Walker, Wisconsin’s unexpected Republican vote in the 2016 election, and the political climate in the last few years, it seems that Wisconsin’s voters are more polarized than ever. 

This uncertainty has also raised question about who may likely show up at the polls this November, especially considering Wisconsin’s voter laws. 

According to My Vote Wisconsin, the deadline to register online or by mail is October 17. If an individual is unable register by this deadline, they may register in-person at their municipal clerk’s office by Nov. 2.  

Wisconsin is one of few states which allows for same-day registration, so if voters fail to register by the marked dates, they can register at the polls by bringing in proof of residence such as a utility bill or lease agreement. For all University of Wisconsin-La Crosse students, an enrollment form will satisfy this requirement. Wisconsin is also one of few states which requires a photo ID to vote. All UWL students may use their campus ID as a photo ID as well, as long it is within the two-year expiration date. 

All students who live on-campus will vote in the Recreational Eagle Center while certain off-campus students may have other polling places depending on which city ward they reside in.  

You can check your own registration, register online, and check your polling location through the website MyVote.wi.gov