NMT Club: UW-L’s best kept secret

Kasey Overgaard, Staff Reporter

Ever heard of nuclear medicine or wondered what is was? If no to the first or yes to the second, you have probably never heard of the UW-La Crosse Nuclear Medicine Technology Club either. The NMT Club held its first meeting of the year at 7:30 p.m., Thursday Sept. 18, where I got a chance to see what the NMT Club is all about and address these very questions.
Nuclear medicine uses radiology in the diagnosis and treatment of disease. Grant Havard, UW-L senior and NMT Club Social Chair, expands on this definition. “Nuclear medicine technology is in most of the major hospitals. We diagnose anything wrong with the body physiology wise, even cancer and hearts. You can quickly find out [if something is wrong] through injecting a nice radioactive isotope into your system…Often freshman don’t know what nuclear medicine is. [The NMT club] is a great way to get your feet wet.”
The club meets at 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. every two weeks during the fall semester and monthly during spring semester. The club is open to NMT majors but also anyone with a general interest as well. The club had a roster of 44 members going into their first meeting, leaving with a handful more in the end. To become a member a $10 fee is required but includes the entire academic year. Kaitlin Brown, UW-L junior and NMT Club Secretary said meetings are “very laid back” and “it’s a very welcoming environment.”
So what is NMT Club all about? President of NMT Club and UW-L senior, Kathryn Prahl sheds light on this question. “The club is essentially a group and we educate individuals who are interested in it about what Nuclear medicine technologists do in the field. We volunteer in the community and fundraise to essentially help the future interns visit clinical sites and get an idea of what they will be experiencing with those programs. You can build your resume by becoming an executive board member. You also have opportunities to network with future NMTs.”
NMT club is not only a good way to network with professionals already in the field but with other members of the club who can help you through classes and get into the NMT program. Havard said, “For me I see this as nice networking because everyone is pretty much taking all the same classes and if you have any questions you can ask each other and have support.” Prahl added, “We just mesh into a family.”
The NMT club holds fun events all year such as potlucks, bell ringing and volunteer work including decorating for the Rotary Lights. The club also organizes fundraisers including 4 to 9 p.m., Wednesday Oct. 15, Toppers, La Crosse. “If people go and eat there they can put their receipts in a box and twenty percent of the profits will come to our club,” Prahl explains. The NMT club’s next meeting is at 7:30 p.m., Thursday Oct. 2, room 2102 Centennial hall.