Viewpoint: Winter Has Come

Tommy Kolinski, Staff Reporter

“Winter is Coming.” The famous Stark words from Game of Thrones has come true for La Crosse and with that bountiful snow comes some mixed feelings. We don’t have a lot of snow yet, but as winter continues, I’m sure there will be plenty more to enjoy/despise.

With the first snow fall, one hears exclamations of excitement all around campus as well as screams of frustration. Several UWL students had comments of their own regarding the snow.

“With the arrival of snow comes the ability to hit the slopes,” sophomore Leslie Zelinski states. “Skiing is one of my favorite things to do in the winter, so I can personally say that I’m excited to see its arrival.”

“Making snow angels is pretty fun to do in the snow, I just wish we had some more right now,” UWL sophomore Sara Seymour comments.

The snow brings plenty of activities to do and can also make quite a spectacle. UWL senior Emmie Infante agrees, “I love the way it sticks to the trees. It really turns La Crosse into a winter wonderland when that happens.”

UWL sophomore Lauren Konkol further comments, “I like the snow for its beauty. Snow is very unique in how it makes everything it covers look amazing.”

There is, of course, an opposition to the snow. It might look pretty, but there are some side affects we all have to deal with that make some dislike it very much. UWL sophomores Matthew Strother and Billie Barron share their own feelings about the snow.
“It’s so freaking cold. I would enjoy the snow a lot more if I could be outside in shorts and not be cold while doing so,” Strother comments.

“I don’t appreciate the cold either, and don’t like how activities get restricted to mostly indoors,” Barron states. “The snow looks nice and I do admit that it’s fun to go sledding, but I just wish I didn’t have to be cold while doing so.”

Another not-so-likeable feature of snow, according to Infante, is that the slush eventually starts to get out of hand. “I don’t like the slush because it’s messy and it just destroys your shoes. Not to mention when it splashes onto the inside of your shoe; that just makes for a great class period,” Infante shares.

Snow has its pros and cons and stirs a lot of mixed feelings in the residents who have to endure it. Luckily, the snow arrived a little bit later than last year which gave snow lovers enough time to enjoy it and the snow haters a little while to not have to deal with it for too long before heading back home for break.

No matter your opinion about the snow, I hope it doesn’t get in the way of your life too much this winter and that you enjoy what winter has to offer. We only have a few more months to endure until we are all back into our summer gear, so hang in there and have a great break!