Viewpoint: Valentine’s Day Is for Everyone

Allison Steele, Student Government Reporter

When you think of Valentine’s Day, do you think of chocolates or teddy bears or even the need to have a significant other? Well fear not- Valentine’s Day does not have to be about having a boyfriend or girlfriend. It can just be about hanging out with friends. And more importantly, celebrating those around you.

Most people think Valentine’s Day has to be about being with a significant other, and buying extravagant gifts, but that doesn’t have to be the case. It can be celebrated with friends and family. Whether it be a fancy dinner, or a more low-key night in, this holiday can still be celebrated.

If, according to society, Valentine’s Day is mainly about a significant other, why can’t it also be about praising those in your life? This day is mainly about spending time with a significant other who is loved. Why shouldn’t it also be celebrating others in your life who are loved? You can still have a Valentine, it can just be friends or family. Send them a little card or buy them chocolates. Let them know that they are appreciated. Don’t forget that that someone who is loved can be yourself as well.

It’s fine spending the day alone; try doing your favorite activities, ones that there might not be time for during the typical week. Make this day a self-care day. It’s a perfect time to put on a movie and eat some popcorn. Start of the semester off right with buying chocolate and relaxing. Don’t feel awkward or embarrassed to be single either.

Think about the advantages to not having a romantic Valentine. No stress of going out, for one. Going to a fancy restaurant and the weight of getting ready can be avoided. There is no need to buy an expensive gift either. Not to mention all the sales on candy and chocolates the days after Valentine’s Day.

It doesn’t have to be spent inside either. Make it a day filled with friends. Round up all your single friends and go bowling or to the movies! Instead of having a celebration about a significant other, it can be celebrating others who you also love. Valentine’s Day can be an excuse to go out to eat; it doesn’t have to be fancy either.

Instead of exchanging gifts with a significant other, exchange them with friends. In the show Parks and Recreation, Leslie Knope has a holiday called “Galentine’s Day.” This celebration is the day before Valentine’s Day. All of Knope’s friends come together and have breakfast and exchange gifts. It’s a simple idea, but it’s something all the characters always look forward to.

Don’t look at the 14th with resentment. Look at it as just celebrating those you love in your life, including yourself.