‘Tis the season to be leasing

Kasey Overgaard, Staff Reporter

It is that time of the year again as students begin to explore off-campus housing for the next school year. Along with the excitement of looking for a new place comesthe stress and frustration of finding the right house or apartment that meets the requirements of everyone involved. There are many things to look for when off campus housing hunting that are easily overlooked and dismissed.
Price is an obvious factor for most when it comes to renting out a place, but there are also many other factors to consider before giving into the lowest price.
Safety is among these factors. Mackenzie Koch, UW-La Crosse junior, said the one thing she doesn’t like about her current off-campus location is the alley that cuts right by her apartment. “It’s creepy and sketchy,” said Koch. Read up on crime in the neighborhood to ensure that it is safe to walk and live in.
Distance from off-campus housing to school seemed to be another major issue to be considered when apartment hunting. Koch and her roommate, UW-L junior Megan Kuenster, agreed that if they could change one thing about where they lived now, it would be their distance to the UW-L campus. Both wished that they lived a little closer.
Another thing to look out for are the costs of utilities. Be sure to find out whether or not gas, electric, trash and water are included in the price of the house or apartment. If not, these alone can be pricey and might mean finding other companies to go through. Koch and Kuenster pay for their electricity and hot water. “I think $25 a month each for utilities is pretty reasonable for laundry, showers and dishes,” said Kuenster.
Parking and laundry may be other hidden fees to look out for. If there is a parking lot for the complex, there may be an extra fee to park there. Also, if an apartment has a washer and dryer, they may also require extra change to start them up. Compare their price to local Laundromats to consider the best deal.
Noise level inside and outside an apartment are concerns expressed by some, as well. Outside noises to consider include street and bar noise. Inside noises are an easily overlooked factor as well. “I kind of wish we had a hallway,” said Koch. “If someone is walking around [in the kitchen and living room], you can hear it.”
If walls are thin, neighbors to the side or above can be noise issues, as well. A few final points to look for when apartment hunting are the amount of storage a place provides and whether or not it has air conditioning and heat.
Also, make sure the landlord is reasonable, available and easy to work with. “We’re not looking for a complete dump, but we aren’t looking for top of the line, either,” said Koch. “Compromise is key,” agreed Kuenster. Patience is key. As well as it can be difficult to find a place that meet all of these requirements, and priorities are different for everyone.